MikroTik App

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

WAP AC - new version - without triple chain

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:31 pm

Hi!

I just saw the new version of the WAP AC and I am quite confused.
Does it really contain just 2x2 wifi and not triple chain as the "old version"?

That would be a step back...

Stril

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WAP AC - new version - without triple chain

Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:30 am

It is a step back, and without 100% Wave2 Support there will Never be
a step forward....

Why new version is clear, I think the Chipset from the old version is no longer
available

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:43 am

I cant believe it is 2020 and Mikrotik are still using a 2.5dBi antenna on the 5Ghz radio.

It should be 4dBi minimum. This will provide better performance for a wide range of devices.

Hopefully they engage someone like Lynwave to design higher performing antennas on their WiFi products.

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:42 am

I really love mikrotik, but their wifi-range and wifi-effort makes me think about leaving away...

shifto
just joined

Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:13 am

Why not call it wAP ac²? This i super confusing in webshops. I chose a wAP AC using Mikrotik product page and ordered it at local webshop, I got the old version. Some webshops dont link part-number or sku and name is all you got.

Wondering if I should return it but it seems like old wAP ac might be better? 1 more chain and only missing 160mhz it seems.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Which devices today use 3x3 ??
Now show me a list of devices that use 2x2??

Therein lies your answer.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:37 pm

Which devices today use 3x3 ?? .
Many Apple wireless devices like the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro support 3x3 and some ones that will be released in 2021 will support 4x4.

My knowledge of Android is very poor so I cannot comment on their MIMO support. I also cannot comment on Microsoft wireless support since I no longer follow their hardware stuff

But Apple is one big GIANT will 100's of millions of users.

Many others like Samsung and HUAWEI -- high end models also support 3x3 and in 2021 will support 4x4 ,,,, Yes they also have many hundreds of millions of users, :-)

What is 4×4 MIMO, and Does My Smartphone Need It?
4×4 MIMO is now common on high-end phones like Apple’s iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. Samsung’s Galaxy S9 and S9+ also support 4×4 MIMO, as do Google’s Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL phones. They can all support four separate data streams at once when connected to a cellular network that offers them.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:37 pm

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/d ... 2e481c/web
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/d ... a6151e/web

But concur the iphone 12 does have 4x4 mimo.
I probably wont have that level of phone for 5 years............... I also dont drive a hummer.
When it looks like there will a majority of folks have 4x4 devices then mikrotik will be there with an applicable product.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 pm

I cant believe it is 2020 and Mikrotik are still using a 2.5dBi antenna on the 5Ghz radio.

It should be 4dBi minimum. This will provide better performance for a wide range of devices.

Hopefully they engage someone like Lynwave to design higher performing antennas on their WiFi products.
The 2.5 dBi antenna has its benefits. Certainly for indoor usage, and if you want to get signal in an adjacent room or floor.
The places where you have a lot of reflection and where to path through the wall is uncertain and unknown.
Due to the low gain the spectrum pattern is almost spherical. (Thick doughnut). The higher gain antenna emit much less total energy, in a thinner doughnut pattern.
Much less overall energy because the EIRP requirement sets the max radiation is the direction of the most gain. Other directions are just weaker.

Do the experiment , set a 2.5dBi AP (hap ac2= new wAP ac(2)) on that other floor and try to connect, and check your signal SNR and CCQ.
Then take a 7.5 dBi device (Omnitik 5 ac) and test again. The outcome will be very disappointing even if you turn the AP to maximise the spectrum direction.
Take a 16 dBi antenna device (SXTsq, SXT sa5) and you will be more disappointed.

Free field outdoor is a different story and different outcome. It all depends. Sometimes high gain antennas is what you need, sometimes not.
(I saved a wifi environment with long range outdoor AP's, by replacing them by wAP ac, with short range chosen on purpose)

If you want/need higher dBI then hAP ac3 and Netmetal ac2 are there to be used.

(https://eyenetworks.no/en/why-internal- ... -home-wifi)

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:55 pm

OOPS .... I was Soooooo VERY Wrong !!! Thanks for correcting me @anav :-)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:53 pm

W.r.t. antenna gain you need to understand that antenna gain invariably comes with a narrower beam.
An antenna with a higher gain obtains this by "illuminating" only part of the perfect sphere around the antenna.
So with a higher gain you have a strong signal in some direction(s), and a weaker signal in other direction(s).
There is no such thing as an omnidirectional antenna (in all spherical directions, not only in a single plane) with gain.

Then, the specifications of unlicensed wireless spectrum use always specify the EFFECTIVE radiated power.
That is the output power from the transmitter plus (actually multiplied by, but in dB that is plus) the antenna gain.
So any legal wireless device with a higher antenna gain has a correspondingly lower output power and arrives at
the same emitted signal strength in the direction of optimal radiation from the antenna. There is NO stronger
signal as a result.

As the antenna gain also adds to the receiver signal, a device with antenna gain can receive weaker signals,
at least when they are from the correct direction. So you may have a better connection with that lowpower IoT
device in the other room. But for the usual communication with a laptop or telephone there will be no
advantage of using a higher-gain antenna indoor. Of course it is different for a point-to-point link, but that is
not what wAP AC is for.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:23 am

The 2.5 dBi antenna has its benefits. Certainly for indoor usage, and if you want to get signal in an adjacent room or floor.
The places where you have a lot of reflection and where to path through the wall is uncertain and unknown.
Due to the low gain the spectrum pattern is almost spherical. (Thick doughnut). The higher gain antenna emit much less total energy, in a thinner doughnut pattern.
Much less overall energy because the EIRP requirement sets the max radiation is the direction of the most gain. Other directions are just weaker.

Do the experiment , set a 2.5dBi AP (hap ac2= new wAP ac(2)) on that other floor and try to connect, and check your signal SNR and CCQ.
Then take a 7.5 dBi device (Omnitik 5 ac) and test again. The outcome will be very disappointing even if you turn the AP to maximise the spectrum direction.
Take a 16 dBi antenna device (SXTsq, SXT sa5) and you will be more disappointed.

Free field outdoor is a different story and different outcome. It all depends. Sometimes high gain antennas is what you need, sometimes not.
(I saved a wifi environment with long range outdoor AP's, by replacing them by wAP ac, with short range chosen on purpose)

If you want/need higher dBI then hAP ac3 and Netmetal ac2 are there to be used.

(https://eyenetworks.no/en/why-internal- ... -home-wifi)

While I agree with some of your comments, my experience with tens of thousands of units of wAP ac, hAP ac Lite, hAP ac2 and cAP ac is that while they have decent performance at 2.4Ghz when the spectrum is clear, the "real world" performance in 5Ghz is much worse than other brand AP's with higher gain antennas. This is not so much about the AP transmitting, a small antennas can be overcome with more TX power. It is about receiving the signal back from the clients.

Are you saying that the likes of Aruba, Cisco, Extreme Networks, Ruckus, Fortinet, Aerohive and Cambium are wrong to be using 4 to 7dBi antennas for 5Ghz in their indoor access points ?

As for your suggestion about using hAP ac3 and Netmetal ac2, while these are decent products in their own right, they cannot be used in the place of a cAP ac or wAP ac as they are not "all in one" products that can be tidily mounted to a wall or ceiling, and not suitable for mass deployment in Multi-Dwelling-Units or Enterprise. For one, they will stick out like a dogs balls.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:57 am

As for your suggestion about using hAP ac3 and Netmetal ac2, while these are decent products in their own right, they cannot be used in the place of a cAP ac or wAP ac as they are not "all in one" products that can be tidily mounted to a wall or ceiling, and not suitable for mass deployment in Multi-Dwelling-Units or Enterprise. For one, they will stick out like a dogs balls.
Or worse a monkey with a hard banana ;-PP

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:41 am

Or worse a monkey with a hard banana ;-PP
Everyone loves a hard banana ;)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:41 am

While I agree with some of your comments, my experience with tens of thousands of units of wAP ac, hAP ac Lite, hAP ac2 and cAP ac is that while they have decent performance at 2.4Ghz when the spectrum is clear, the "real world" performance in 5Ghz is much worse than other brand AP's with higher gain antennas. This is not so much about the AP transmitting, a small antennas can be overcome with more TX power. It is about receiving the signal back from the clients.

Are you saying that the likes of Aruba, Cisco, Extreme Networks, Ruckus, Fortinet, Aerohive and Cambium are wrong to be using 4 to 7dBi antennas for 5Ghz in their indoor access points ?
Are you sure that the difference in performance is caused only by a different antenna?
The devicess you name are just much more advanced than MikroTik wireless. They have new techniques and protocols that MikroTik does not (yet) have.
They also cost 10 times as much as a wAP AC.

I would be very much surprised when the difference in performance is caused by a 2-4 dB difference in antenna gain.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:59 pm

I fully agree that the antenna gain is important for the receiving of the client device. (Actually outdoor that's the only thing that extends the range, as the AP transmit power has the same EIRP limit).
And I installed many hundreds of FortiAP's with Fortigate cluster as controller, having one VAP-roaming wifi in large buildings. Love those devices, but they are too expensive for home users, and not needed for normal homes. Yeah , FortiAP 421e with 4x4 , ac wave 2 ,$494, outperform a bunch of xAP ac from Mikrotik. But in holiday bungalows, chalets and caravans, and in small 4x6m rooms, I use a hAP ac2 or cAp ac indoor, and a wAP ac outdoor, as I do in private single family homes.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:18 pm

When you have a 4x4 device that uses antennas with some gain and pointing in different directions, you will have the benefit of the narrower beamwidth of those antennas and thus you receive less noise. The MU-MIMO devices (MikroTik does not have them) even can receive multiple clients from different directions at the same time this way. And transmit back to multiple clients at the same time.
This is not really caused by the increased gain, it is more because of the narrower beamwidth. Without MU-MIMO that would bring you less of an advantage.
And wAP AC (either old or new) does not have MU-MIMO.

As I wrote, point-to-point is a different matter. That is where antenna gain (and small beamwidth) is very important.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:51 pm

All I know is that an EAP245 from TPLINK easily outperforms a capac.
Less dropouts, quicker response and most important client satisfaction (family).
I have two capacs in the house and one TP link to compare.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:32 am

All I know is that an EAP245 from TPLINK easily outperforms a capac.
Antenna Type 	Internal Omni
2.4GHz: 3 × 4dBi
5GHz: 3 × 4dBi

Oh look, 4dBi antennas ;)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:24 am

:-) checked also these interesting specs (and low price). They call it Elite Business-class (V3), and position it for Hospitality, Education, Shops, Business.
But home friendly prices (for the V1) Affordable Business Class

Other specs are also excellent

802.1k/v roaming (V3)
802.11ac Wave 2 MU-MIMO (V3)
band steering
load balancing
Transmit Power Control
airtime fairness (V3)
beam forming (V3)
3x3 in 2.4 and 5 GHz band

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:13 pm

It is MU-MIMO. MikroTik does not have that.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:49 pm

They are coming out with an EAP265, which supposedly is better in denser environments (many users), no prices yet but I think thats the model you were looking at bpwl? In any case, the EAP245, recommended by Mozerd (as to how I came across it) is very cost effective, picked one up for $89 CDN this week. It does vlans, poe and just works. I do set the channels manually and it does have power settings!!!.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:32 pm

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-net ... eap245/v3/

V3 better than the V1 , but not overly expensive. €98

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-net ... eap265-hd/ is the new high density one.

Don't misunderstand my open view on any brand. The Mikrotik wAP ac is a perfect fit for what I install now (need small cell's for performance).

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:42 pm

While other vendors are adding 802.11ax and more chains, MIkrotik is proudly presenting AP with less chains that's not even wave2 compatible in 2020,
with added bonus of having same naming as original, so you will never know what you may get from the distributor.

great job, well done.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:29 pm

People look over my shoulder when i am working in caps-man...

"Damn... imagine if that could control good radios."

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:04 pm

People look over my shoulder when i am working in caps-man...

"Damn... imagine if that could control good radios."
When people look over my shoulder, I tell them I am working on caps-woman and to get their own...........

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi bpwl
As long as your customers are satisfied, all is good.
But I do implore you to get one eap245v3 for a deployment and see the results.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:55 am

EAP245v3 == EAP265v1 (source: https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/215978)
According to TP-Link´s answer: "The main difference is on software feature, compared with EAP245v3, the EAP265 HD extends the number of associated clients from 100 on both 2.4G & 5G to 120 on 2.4GHz, 500 on 5GHz. Nothing different in hardware."
If you look at the release notes of EAP245v3 (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/down ... /#Firmware) it says "12. Optimize the performance of connecting multiple clients." If you look at EAP265 (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/down ... /#Firmware) it says "2. Support connecting more wireless clients and suitable for high-density scenarios." Would you program different drivers for the same hardware? I wouldn´t. For me, it is not clear whether this means that both access points received the same improvement, but they could. So by buying EAP245v3 instead of EAP265 you could save you some money.

Also, TP-Link access point support airtime features (as many other vendors except MikroTik) (https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/2095/), so no more single 6 or 12 Mbit/s client which will affect the performance of all other clients connected to the access point. IPQ4018/IPQ4019 which is used by MikroTik in many access points supports it, but MikroTik doesn´t add this feature to its own self made drivers. It may be too easy but @MikroTik you could take a look at the source code of ath10k driver and adjust the source to your own driver.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:35 am

That is the main issue with MikroTik WiFi: these self-made drivers which maybe were a good idea when they were created are now blocking all progress.
All those manufacturers of lowcost WiFi APs are passing MikroTik left and right with new WiFi features and MikroTik remains what it always was, so now less and less competitive.

I recently bought a wAP AC as an additional AP in a small site where a hAP AC was already in use, but for serious larger deployments of WiFi I would never consider MikroTik.
I love their routers, but their WIFI is getting more and more behind.
This is likely partly caused by the v7 disaster: the more uptodate drivers that the chip manufacturers make available likely no longer work with the old Linux kernel used in v6, and the release of a version with a new kernel was delayed too long, wasting developer resources on keeping the WiFi in v6 working.

Now, a big change is needed to get current again, and it will cause compatibility problems with nstreme and nv2.
Maybe they should make alternative wireless packages (has happened before), one old backward compat package for those that require nstreme and nv2, and another one that is developed from a current driver and adds 802.11ax etc. That one would then be the way forward and everyone should migrate at some time.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Maybe they should make alternative wireless packages (has happened before)
That would be the correct way. Take the wireless drivers from the linux kernel and put them into a second wireless packages. Afterwards change MikroTik ROS functionality to use it, not the other way round.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Concur, the sooner the better, as will probably remove my capacs from service at home and buy more TP LINK eap245s. One cannot underestimate the value of stability and reliability at home.............
Sure I like configuring from ROS and winbox, but that doenst address actual functionality.
Hire bpwl and get it done............ Not sure why Mikrotik and Normis have had lobotomies on this issue............ ???????

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Not sure why Mikrotik and Normis have had lobotomies on this issue...

I don't think Normis had anything with it. This was a business decision accepted a while ago ... just because lately consequences are largely negative doesn't mean it wasn't a good decision. Mikrotik management just stuck to it a bit too long.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:49 am

Swapped my audience for a ruckus R550.

"Just till the rest of the hardware for the install shows up..."