Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

MSTP TPlink to Mikrotik

Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:59 pm

I would like request some advice on the config setting for STP between TPlink (T2600G-28TS) to RB960PGS, the TP-link uses port7 as master and port8 as backup,
So I would like have
TPlink port 7 to port 1 of RB960 ( master STP active )
TPlink port 8 to port 2 of RB960 ( backup )

What I am a little confused about is the bridge/port/stp setting - Priority, Path Cost, Internal path cost, also Auto Isolate, Restricted Role, Restricted TCN, BPDU Guard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stathismes

Re: MSTP TPlink to Mikrotik

Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:49 pm

For the life of me, I can't configure this new tplink to work with mikrotik for MSTP.

It's as almost as if the tplink doesn't "read" the BPDUs. It keeps considering itself the Root Bridge for all my VLANs at the same time as the mikrotik.

I have checked everything. My mind comes down to MSTP implementation in ROS 7.6 (at the time of writing). I've noticed that 7.7rc1 and later contains a few fixes for MSTP but as a general rule I avoid testing/development releases.

stathismes

Re: MSTP TPlink to Mikrotik

Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:25 pm

For the life of me, I can't configure this new tplink to work with mikrotik for MSTP.

It's as almost as if the tplink doesn't "read" the BPDUs. It keeps considering itself the Root Bridge for all my VLANs at the same time as the mikrotik.

I have checked everything. My mind comes down to MSTP implementation in ROS 7.6 (at the time of writing). I've noticed that 7.7rc1 and later contains a few fixes for MSTP but as a general rule I avoid testing/development releases.

Putting this out to anyone else stumbling upon this issue: It turns out that TP link switches are forwarding BPDU packets on VLAN 1, and ONLY on VLAN 1!
Setting up another VLAN as native on the switch won't work.

I wish this was mentioned somewhere (it's not anywhere in the guides or the internet that I could find), and therefore I see this as a limitation of TP link switches.