Community discussions

MikroTik App

supermarine
just joined
Topic Author

User Manager as simple RADIUS server

Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi, I'm an almost complete newbie regarding MikroTik.

I listened in a YT video that a MikroTik router could be used as a RADIUS server for other non-MT devices (this particular video was about Ubiquiti Wireless).

I researched and found out that User Manager needs to be installed in the router (I have a hEXs RB760). I installed the package and, while following this procedure (https://systemzone.net/mikrotik-user-ma ... iguration/) it would appear that User Manager is meant to be used with other MikroTik devices.

Is this correct, or does User Manager can be used as a simple RADIUS server for any device? I have a small home/lab network and my AP is an Aruba Instant ON model. I'd be happy (for now) with only the user/password authentication functionality.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: User Manager as simple RADIUS server

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:35 am

Is this correct, or does User Manager can be used as a simple RADIUS server for any device? I have a small home/lab network and my AP is an Aruba Instant ON model. I'd be happy (for now) with only the user/password authentication functionality.
User Manager can be used as a RADIUS server for other devices, but the issue in your case is that it doesn't support EAP which is necessary if you want to use it as a RADIUS server for wireless authentication (ex. WPA2-EAP with username and password to log into RADIUS).

However, the User Manager in ROS v7 has been rewritten, supposedly including support for EAP. This means that, at least theoretically, User Manager in ROS 7 should support authentication like Wi-Fi Authentication with username and password, which ROS 6 user manager does not support.