SuperMiao
just joined
Topic Author

ESXI7.0 CHR How to improve performance with Hyper-thread enabled

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:01 pm

esxi: 7.0.1
cpu: E5-2699V4*2 44C
ram: 192G DDR4 2400Mhz
When Hyper-Thread is disabled the performance of my other instances will decrease. When Hyper-Thread is enabled CHR will severe packet loss.
What should I do?

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: ESXI7.0 CHR How to improve performance with Hyper-thread enabled

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Using Hyperthreading with CPU-intense workloads is far from being a good idea.
If not done yet, I'd check CPU affinity (make sure the vCPUs assigned to your CHR instance are not on the same physical cores) and probably add a CPU reservation for the vm at 125% of its average load.
Good luck,
-Chris

SuperMiao
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:17 pm

Using Hyperthreading with CPU-intense workloads is far from being a good idea.
If not done yet, I'd check CPU affinity (make sure the vCPUs assigned to your CHR instance are not on the same physical cores) and probably add a CPU reservation for the vm at 125% of its average load.
Good luck,
-Chris
Thank you for your reply
So I should turn off hyperthreading and configure different physical cores for each virtual instance?

I have another problem. After I turn on Hyper-Threading, the CHR CPU usage is less than 20%, but packets will be lost.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:50 pm

Well, you said when turning off HT you other instances (vms?) suffer degraded performance - so my advice was for a scenario with HT still being enabled.
CPU affinity is a good path to go to make sure the assigned vCPUs are not running on the same physical core in a HT environment.
And just out of curiosity: are you running mpls on this router? It's been a while but I remember that there were some performance issues with CHR on ESX with mpls. Didn't follow the conversation so I don't know if that has been fixed already....
-Chris