Community discussions

MikroTik App

Navegador
Topic Author

LHGG LTE: sim card not detected after modem upgrade with M.2->PCIe adapter

Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:04 pm

Hi folks, I'm very new here and to Mikrotik in general so please bear with me.

I have an LHGG LTE kit which I planned to upgrade with a Quectel EM12-G modem so I could use band 28. The EM series from Quectel being M.2, I also purchased an M.2 to PCIe adapter that came with a SIM slot. I tested the modem in my RBM11G testbed and it worked perfectly "out of the box" on routerOS 7 beta (6.48 doesn't even detect a modem) and using the routerboard's, NOT the adapter's, SIM slot.

The LHGG was tested with the same sim card on the original modem and worked fine (I live close to a mast and the LHGG is meant for use at a rural property). Feeling confident from the testebed experiment, I proceeded to open my LHGG LTE and replace the Mikrotik modem with the Quectel one, which I bought after reading it's the M.2 version of the modem inside Mikrotik's Chateau router.

I turn the LHGG back on and everything seems OK: it detects the modem. But... now it says there's no SIM inserted, even though there is one in the Mikrotik's sim slot.

My guess is that something is looking for a SIM card in the adapter's slot rather than the LHGG's, as I haven't tried the SIM in the adapter.

Is there a way out for me? Is there a way to "point" routerOS to the LHGG slot?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

SGtv
just joined

Re: LHGG LTE: sim card not detected after modem upgrade with M.2->PCIe adapter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:34 pm

My guess would be that it is down to an error being thrown up by the chip, so the question should probably be asked of the manufacturer of the m.2 to mpcie adapter card. Seems it would probably just make sense to get hold of an adapter which doesn’t have a sim slot. Or as you say you haven’t done it yet, try the sim in the adapter sim slot.

Ps. I have no real experience in this but this just seems logical.

Navegador
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:25 am

I know it's been a while but just as an update: the problem was mechanical in nature. The heat transfer pad on top of the modem was pressing the m.2 to pcie adapter's sim slot and causing a short. Replacing the original pad with a thinner one solved the issue.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:30 pm

Ohh, I not see your post before.
This is know issue and at other devices too.
People buy chaep m.2 adapters and they have a sim slot on top... who give problems what you say. Solution is unsolder that simslot or unscrew the screw a little :)
photo5825824572828661638.jpg
photo5825421696306362351.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jlgo222
just joined

Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:03 pm

Thanks everyone,I ran into this same issue.

To fix I placed a dummy sim card that came with a pack of sim card adapters into the m.2 to pcie sim slot and this keeps it from shorting out. Works great now.