Community discussions

MikroTik App

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

CAP AC Reset - How to?

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 am

Hi,

embarrassing and it may sound stupid, but I struggle to give my CAP AC a config reset via the reset button. Pressing the reset button for 5 sec during boot process when powered on until the LED flashes (which by the way never flashes it rather goes off and if you keep pressing after 15 sec on again) does not reset the config. I still have a previously configured WIFI without an IP on the device, which I try to correct.

Any advice!?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAP AC Reset - How to?

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:32 am

Reset or mode button used ?

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/cAP+ac
Regardless of the above option used, the system will load the backup RouterBOOT loader if the button is pressed before power is applied to the device. Useful for RouterBOOT debugging and recovery.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 am

This gives a clue why your device is not resetting:
(which by the way never flashes it rather goes off and if you keep pressing after 15 sec on again)
It should actually flash in quick flashes. Make sure you are pushing the Reset button, not Mode next to it.

Hold, power on, Keep holding, let go when flashing starts. The "User" LED should be the furthest away from the Power LED.

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:00 am

Hi, thanks for your suggestions, but the topic is as simple and frustrating as it is. I read the manual and all the other hints. Yes, I push the reset button. Yes, I noticed the supposed to be differentiator of whether you push it the first 5s starting prior to power-on in comparison to right after powering on. There ist no difference in the device behaviour.

If I connect the device with POE network and the blue LED start lighting up solid. I then immediately push the reset button as written in the manual and keep holding it approx. 5s when the blue LED then turns off and release it afterwards. The device is then just simply rebooting the previous "faulty" config.

If I keep holding the reset button after the blue LED turned off I do reach at about 10s a flashy state with other LEDs turning off etc, but never a flashy blue LED.

I have two devices acting the same, non ever have the blue LED flashing after 5sec Reset button press.

Any advice.

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:07 am

Addendum: I once more gave it a try, but no difference. I do think I started with pressing Reset prior to connecting POE and released it once the blue LED turns off after 5s. Then it boots in a state with the old faulty config and blue LED solid on, Ethernet1 flickering and 2GHz and 5Ghz LED going on/off (rolling on/off) in a carousel like mode.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:12 am

Instead of reset, try to use Netinstall and completely format the device.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

Make sure to use the latest files from our download page when you do this procedure:

https://mikrotik.com/download

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:22 am

Was thinking about that, but since netinstall is Windows solely and I'm in a Mac OSX and Linux environment with just a virtual machine with Windows it's not a solution. I actually gave it a try, but the netboot state is not being recognized via the network up to the VM running Netinstall. (just noticed there is a Linux version of Netinstall, will give it a try)

What is the meaning of the 2GHz and 5GHz LED carousel? Is this indicating a Netboot state?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:25 am

You mentioned you have access to the device? You can issue a system -> reset command without using the button. In software.

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:09 am

Unfortunately I don't have administrative access, as I can connect to it's wifi as it is configured as bridge, but it doesn't has an IP and connecting via MAC isn't working either.

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:41 pm

Interestingly I found out my problem with the RESET handling description:

"The reset button has three functions: ... Hold this button during boot time until LED light starts flashing, release the button to reset RouterOS configuration (total 5 seconds)."

"During Boot time" should be more precisely phrased as, "once turned on, wait 2-3sec until Power LED, but foremost User LED lights up, then push RESET for 5 seconds until User LED starts flashing". <-- that seems to work, but not pushing RESET after Power LED lights on, as I did the past couple days.

UNFORTUNATELY, though the LED flashes, it's still not resetting my device. I'm going to try Netinstall, now that I have the feeling to got at least control over the different reset modes.

@Mikrotik: It would be helpful to get a more clear description of LED behaviour and how they signal certain modes. My device seems to do some kind of reset and after some while it's starting an WiFi LED carousel. That seems to indicate something, a specific mode. Would love to know.

mciania
just joined

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Was thinking about that, but since netinstall is Windows solely and I'm in a Mac OSX and Linux environment with just a virtual machine with Windows it's not a solution. I actually gave it a try, but the netboot state is not being recognized via the network up to the VM running Netinstall. (just noticed there is a Linux version of Netinstall, will give it a try)
I don't know about Mac OSX, but in Linux (Arch Linux in my case) you can easily use both Winbox and Netinstall (Windows native) with wine. Using Netinstall you need to ensure your firewall is (temporarily) disabled. Personally I flashed cap AC from Arch Linux yesterday with no issues at all.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:08 pm

I can fix your problem for $69 :-)

Reset button is depressed prior to applying the power chord and kept depressed until the lights blink or not.
It can be tricky and obviously MT didnt think about people with only one arm/hand............ not that user friendly
(unless one is an arachnid or octopus)

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:18 am

I actually got one of the two devices working with the right Reset-Power-ButtonPush-Process ;-)

Unfortunately the other one seems not to react on any of the three modes (though confirmed by the LED flashing, solid-on or off). It finally always enters a mode, where Power LED and User LED are on, while NET is flashing.

I'm still working on getting access to a device via Netinstall with either MS Windows or Linux and physical network connection to the device. My setup based on Macs is not allowing to do that at the moment (neither per WINE since outdated for Macs and I'm too lazy to compile it by myself, nor per VMs as these have no physical connection to the device).

The time I invested made me also think wether I should just spend the approx. 60$.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:18 pm

if you feel inclined to purchase check out the TP LINK EAP245, cheap prices these days and it handles vlan tags etc.
Does everything the Capac does with better and more stable wifi throughput. On the downside its not a winbox config which I am rather fond of now.
The reset is straightforward and you can compare devices.

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:57 pm

What I learned about the TP LINK EAP245 makes me hesitating, as they seem to require a cloud or app-based setup or it requires a central control instance. One of the reasons why I after some test setups also refrained from going with Ubiquiti Unifi, who are known for their good APs in the SOHO and medium sized company sector. From a professional perspective, beside performance, independency is another key factor. Therefore I would love MikroTik to release a WiFi AP with the power comparable to e.g. the Unifi lineup. For the time being, I deal with performance restrictions.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:20 pm

You can see RouteOS version installed on the "unresettable" device?

>>>I still have a previously configured WIFI without an IP on the device, which I try to correct.
It mean you configure THIS device, but you lost access to it?
Or ANOTHER device?

"device is then just simply rebooting the previous faulty config"

if someone has activated the protected routerboot, you can not reset the device on unusual way,
you must press the reset button for exactly 300 seconds (start when regulary blinks 1sec on / 1sec off) and wait 3/4 minutes for format internal FLASH,
then is visible on netinstall.
And is possible than someone set the latest reformat-hold-button-max to different value, you must only guess the right time from 10 seconds to 600

more detail:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=176437&p=865575&hilit=600#p865575

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 am

OK, I finally can report success on recovering the second of two devices which were in any weird mode and did not accept a reset. It took me several tries and finally Netinstall discovered the device. I think it is related to a button-procedure, where I kept RESET pressed for more than 30sec regardless of the LED already turned off after 15s.

Thanks for the help here in the forum.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:26 am

Maybe this helps somebody :)

https://youtu.be/6Unz92rABs8

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:20 pm

What I learned about the TP LINK EAP245 makes me hesitating, as they seem to require a cloud or app-based setup or it requires a central control instance. One of the reasons why I after some test setups also refrained from going with Ubiquiti Unifi, who are known for their good APs in the SOHO and medium sized company sector. From a professional perspective, beside performance, independency is another key factor. Therefore I would love MikroTik to release a WiFi AP with the power comparable to e.g. the Unifi lineup. For the time being, I deal with performance restrictions.
Just to be clear they have a stand alone mode that I access via my PC or an APP. DONT NEED CLOUD!
But the good news is that you have access to your capacs back dont need to spend more money!!
For 2.4ghz make sure you avoid other channels in your area
For 5Ghz found settings Band: 5GHz-N/AC and ChannelWidth: 20/40MHz Ce worked best.
Avoid capsman if you dont need it, learn how to configure capac for wifi first and get the config solid before deciding to add another layer of complexity.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:04 pm

CAPsMAN is easy to set up for basic use, check this out: https://youtu.be/taQ70m0DVYA

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:51 pm

I will take a look Normis but the evidence on the forums states otherwise...................

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 am

Who is that good looking guy anyway, bears a striking resemblance to a younger looking avatar I see often (needs updating LOL).
Should have named it capswoman, lets face it who controls.....................

Very nice, I can see this helping many folks starting out!! Save to favourites.....
I still would like users to understand the wifi settings but I suppose you can learn this as the settings need to be learned regardless where set.

Vlans and bridges and APs, I am used to now configuring without capsman, and wondering what the delta is moving to capsman.
Perhaps another video covering that should be next because that is the inevitable next step [BRIDGE + VLANS + CAPSMAN] ??

(small note: In terms of LED, we say the letters separately "L", "E", "D" EL EEE DEE and not pronounced Led or lead as its not a word)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:54 pm

Case in point to add another excellent video in your capsman series to include Bridge/vlans/firewall rules with multiple WLANS ( home, guest, media, iot etc....)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=176989

Dont make this stuff up it just falls in our laps as a common issue!!!

anedi
just joined

Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:28 pm

Hey. Having the same issue. Can't seem to reboot my cAP AC. Actually I've got another isdue on top of that. Once i think it's rebooted, device won't produce ANY wifi dmsignal. 2G and 5G lights are turned off and NO wifi is discoverable. Is my unit faulty? Or is it in some strange mode? I haven't seen anyone with this issue befoe. Really strange. Already made another post about this but no one answered. Same contacting support. Device is a brick rn...

starbug
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:08 pm

@Anedi: As I started the thread, I can only state what I wrote above. 20-30 attempts later, with varying procedures of longer / shorter pressing button, I finally could reset my two devices. The CAP AC seems to be very sensitive and not tolerant about the sequence. I wish you good luck.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK6F9NjkyW4

Be aware of the difference between mode and reset button.

Not in all product docs is the correct list of reset states: config (flashing)- CAPS(on) - NetInstall( off and wait for it to appear in NetInstall)
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset
Last edited by bpwl on Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:34 pm

As a counter argument, there are more capsman error threads then there are getting wifi working on a capac single.
Both, provide less then happy wifi results but its relatively equally poor for both!!
In other words, as I initially stated, there is no reason for a home owner with one or two capacs ever to contemplate adding another layer of complexity to their config.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:46 am

Hi there,
I'm even in a worse mess.

cAP AC was not showing up in WinBox anymore regardless of my reset varying attempts.

Netinstall see it but it does not look like it installs any software. It shows only "offering ..." and switches back to its idle state a few seconds later. No message like install or changing progress bar etc. There is not any particular LED flashing.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:36 pm

You have too much network interface active, netinstall work with the first active on boot, disable all other interfaces

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:55 pm

From some user article..........
Sage advice on NetInstall......
And regarding Etherboot for all devices, the most error-free method is - to press the reset button, keep it pressed, power on the device, and wait until the device shows up in the NetInstall window, then release the button. This holds true for the Audience as well.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:57 pm

And make sure all other network interfaces on your computer are disabled.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:37 pm

Excellent point I added that to my Netinstall section para H. - viewtopic.php?t=182373

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:51 pm

Excellent point I added that to my Netinstall section para H. - viewtopic.php?t=182373
You have too much network interface active, netinstall work with the first active on boot, disable all other interfaces
but
Netinstall see it but it does not look like it installs any software.
this means, that the device shows up in the NetInstall window.

So even if it shows up I have to deactivate all other interfaces to flash the software?

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:52 pm

but

So even if it shows up I have to deactivate all other interfaces to flash the software?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:13 pm

but

Ask Holvoetn............. if the other interfaces are not blocking the install from working, then dont bother................ its in the case that other interfaces do not allow connection to the MT Device.
(modified wording to be more flexible).

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:33 pm

Correct.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:25 pm

Ask Holvoetn............. if the other interfaces are not blocking the install from working, then dont bother................ its in the case that other interfaces do not allow connection to the MT Device.
(modified wording to be more flexible).
[/quote]
how do I know if the other interfaces are not blocking the install from working?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 pm

If it doesn't work, you know...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:33 pm

How many spoons do you need? Its a troubleshooting step like any other. Eliminate possible interfering sources, be they competing network interfaces or for example software firewalls on a PC.
Geez packer take a laxative, whatever you ate needs to be expelled pronto..........

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:54 pm

Done and recoverd, deactivate all interfaces, not only disconnected them as stated in the manual.
What a nightmare.

FYI during install process of netinstall only the LED for the connected interface flashes

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:56 pm

Well done.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:40 pm

at least there could be something good in all the mess

as it happened I open a warranty ticket, support said they will update https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall (and hopefully https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/cAP+ac as well).
Nothing happened so far but fingers remain crossed.

ChadRT
just joined

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:16 am

I can tell you that I watched the "reset" video and I can read two words very easily "reset" and "mode" they are really closely spelled but I think I figured it out :)

I have tried no less than 20 times to perform a reset on my CAP AC with zero luck made a mistake with the initial setup out of box and poof its a paper weight. I adore nearly everything MikroTik but this little bugger has me wanting to send it home to the promised land. Also Netinstall is never a simple task, thankfully in the past few years I have only had the need to use that twice!