Community discussions

MikroTik App

arisgoku
just joined
Topic Author

Low wifi coverage in bedroom

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:28 pm

Hello to you all. I recently set up my home wifi with 2 hap ac2. My houme is a 2 floor 190m² square brick house. I have cat6 running from my isp router to both ac2. I have positioned one on the left frond side of the ground floor which gives me coverage at the ring doorbell and in the living room. The second one is positioned on the front right side of the first floor which gives wifi also on the backyard outside. My bedroom is on the back left side of the first floor and on my side of rhe bed it has almost 1 line and my wife next to me has 0 wifi lines. How can i improve the coverage?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Low wifi coverage in bedroom

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:18 pm

You could position the 1st floor AP centrally, but that might mean loosing backyard coverage. So probably you'll have to add the third AP somewhere close to master bedrom. You might want to go with 5GHz only. You might be able to decrease Tx power of AP slightly, but not too much, you want that AP's signal dominate in bedroom.
Don't count on AP on ground floor to help in any way, concrete floors/ceilings kill wireless signal very efficiently.

arisgoku
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:35 am

So my options are
1) move the ap from the ground floor to the bedroom and hopefully i will have some coverage on the ring doorbell and in the living room.
2) move the ap from the study to the living room and lose coverage on the backyard
3) add a third ap on the bedroom. In this case i might consider selling the existing ap and investing in wifi 6 mesh

Can i post some details to see if i can improve the coverage by altering some settings on the existing two ap's?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:36 pm

Sure, go ahead and post config of both APs. Somebody might give some advice.

arisgoku
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:37 pm

So I tried option 1 and i had low reception on Ring doorbell and almost no coverage on the ground floor. So i reverted to the original layout. I am attaching some settings if needed something more specific please ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:18 pm

So I tried option 1 and i had low reception on Ring doorbell and almost no coverage on the ground floor. So i reverted to the original layout. I am attaching some settings if needed something more specific please ask.
OK - a few things. Appears your using the default wireless configuration. This is NOT optimal.

change your settings to:

2Ghz-
2Ghz - N - 20Mhz, channel-11 [or do scanner and find best unused channel, 1, 6 or 11]

5Ghz-
5-Ghz-only-ac - 20/40Mhz - Ceee

arisgoku
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:41 pm

OK - a few things. Appears your using the default wireless configuration. This is NOT optimal.

change your settings to:

2Ghz-
2Ghz - N - 20Mhz, channel-11 [or do scanner and find best unused channel, 1, 6 or 11]

5Ghz-
Thanks for your input. Should i set both aps on the same channel? Also in 5gzh the option is 20/40 Ce not Ceee

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:52 pm

change your settings to:

2Ghz-

5Ghz-
Thanks for your input. Should i set both aps on the same channel? Also in 5gzh the option is 20/40 Ce not Ceee
Since you're are setting up TWO(2) physically different access points; then yes -- configure them on different non-overlapping channels. Be sure your SSID name is set the same on both.

Example:
1st AP 2Ghz - channel 1
2nd AP 2Ghz - channel 11

1st AP 5Ghz - 5180
2nd AP 5Ghz - 5240 [This will need either 20/40Mhz eC or 20/40/80 eeeC]

My mistake on the 5Ghz options. Yes, set it to 20/40Mhz Ce. Try it and see your performance. You might want to settle on 20/40/80Mhz Ceee ;)

arisgoku
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 pm

Tried those changes but no significant improvement. Attaching a status from my bedroom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Your not going to have too much success on 2.4ghz due to the number of wlans using that spectrum.

However here are my settings for a capac......

WLAN (2.4)
Band: 2ghz - g/n
Width: 20MHz
Channel.......... you may be better if you only need one channel to choose 4, and if need two 4 and 9

WLAN (5)
Band: 5ghz - n/ac
Width: 20/40MHz - Ce
channel 36.

arisgoku
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 pm

Sorry for the long overdue. So final update, i replaced the ac2 with a 3 pack deco m4r. The inside coverage is perfect and i love the seamless roam of mesh. The outside coverage is on par or slightly worse then the ac2. So in general in the future i will prefer the versatility of mikrotik, i really miss the usb and 5 lan ports. But i would love a mikrotik access point with mesh and wifi 6.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:49 am

I would use the MT for the router portion and local coverage where the device is located only, and any other brand of decent wifi for the rest of the house.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:32 pm

I would use the MT for the router portion and local coverage where the device is located only, and any other brand of decent wifi for the rest of the house.
Just turn off the Mikrotik radio and use another vendor for wifi.