Community discussions

MikroTik App

ZPrime
just joined
Topic Author

The Dude Server on CHR free license and 1Mbps limit

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:54 pm

Hello Mikrotik forum :)

I am considering deploying The Dude to monitor a small fleet of routers (CCR-series) after being disappointed in other free solutions (e.g. LibreNMS does not poll error counters from RouterOS devices, at least not by default). We'd be looking at 17-20 routers monitored (CCR1036, 1072, and 2004) to begin, but that might grow.

I know that The Dude Server can run on a CHR instance. Does the Server portion of Dude require much bandwidth if I don't have a lot of devices? Would I be able to run it on the free 1Mbps license of CHR without hitting the bandwidth limit? the CHR instance would literally only be used for Dude Server and would not pass any traffic through it otherwise.

I know that CHR licenses aren't very expensive, so we would probably start with the free edition and then eventually just pay for a 1Gb license, but I am curious to know if we'd be "OK" with the free 1Mb. Does CHR throw any log entries or warnings if bandwidth usage exceeds 1Mb, or does it just cap all throughput? Or does the 1Mbps limit only apply to traffic passing through the instance (in one interface, out another, like a router or switch), and Dude traffic wouldn't be impacted?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: The Dude Server on CHR free license and 1Mbps limit

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 pm

It is limited to 1Mbps upload per interface...
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... l%20guest.

No, i dont remember any message from the days when i was using a free CHR License with the Dude ...

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:41 pm

MikroTik support don't recommend running Dude on CHR at all.
I know, crazy ain't it...

ZPrime
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:01 am

MikroTik support don't recommend running Dude on CHR at all.
I know, crazy ain't it...
Really? Their wiki entries about The Dude say that CHR is supported. Do you have any forum posts or emails from them saying CHR is bad for Dude Server?

I have a 3-node Nutanix cluster with plenty of IOPS to spare. I'd much rather spread the disk writes over that cluster, than have my monitoring platform rely on a single (crappy) MicroSD card, or an M.2 if I run Dude Server on a CCR2004.

I also don't want to waste the rack space to put in a CCR dedicated to The Dude. I have a CCR1009 that is not too busy that I could run it on, but I'd rather not have the monitoring platform relying on a device with a single PSU.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:39 am

It is supported ...
MikroTik support don't recommend running Dude on CHR at all
Any reference on that ?

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:17 am

After nearly 4 months of backwards and forwards between me and them, trying to pin down why CHR was stopping transmitting, their final answer in SUP-43326 was:

"
Hello,

We will try to resolve this problem when will be working on improvements and fixes regarding The Dude service.
For now, we recommend do not use Dude with CHR systems. We are very sorry to hear that you have experienced such an issue.

Best regards,
"

Despite numerous Supouts, I still don't think they have any idea what was causing it.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:15 am

I have been running dude on chr for many years. It simply works when database is vacuumed every day. 1mbit port tx limitation could make a problem when client gets the data as it could be a portion and the tx limitation will make it to last few seconds so some probe requests might be lost. But you can easily try and see.
Of course dude itself is not supported by mikrotik, because they just do not care about it...

inteq

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:13 pm

@sid5632 can you please tell what was the issue exactly? What does "CHR was stopping transmitting" means?
I ask, because I also have problems with Dude on CHR randomly making everything inaccessible for short periods of time (10-30 seconds). Dude disabled=no problems.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:33 am

It means what it says.
I can see packets incoming on eth1 using the "/tool sniffer quick" command on the console, but nothing goes out of eth1.
It stops responding to Ping, and to everything else of course. A device that only receives traffic and doesn't transmit anything is not much use.
It never recovers, but a reboot of the CHR VM fixes it, until the next time it stops working. This can be as short as a few hours, or as long as several weeks.
Disabling the Dude server stops this behaviour for me too, but it makes the thing useless, as in this case I am only using it for running some Dude monitoring.