Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dual chain with 2 different antenna types

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:04 pm

I have a mikrotik sitting up a pole on top of a shed. I would like to run a cable down into the shed and run a regular wifi antenna inside the shed. I also want to stick up a 2.4GHz Yagi above the shed. I can see a few ways to do this but don't understand the concept of chains very well

1) Use built in wifi, one antenna to each chain, run one SSID which uses 2 chains
2) Use built in wifi, one antenna to each chain, run 2 SSIDs with each SSID using only one of the chains
3) Insert a second wifi card via USB or PCIe, run each antenna to its own wifi card, turn on 1 chain only on each card

I would like to avoid option 3 as I need to purchase the extra card. Is option 1 a really bad idea? That would leave option 2 as the best option?

Thanks, hope that makes sense.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dual chain with 2 different antenna types

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:02 pm

1 is normal situation. You can have more ssids on one wlan interface without any problem.
2 is impossible.
3 is also good. Actualy, if the situation is tight and you need one directional and one omni antenna both for different purposes (one as uplink and other as ap for example) you'd better to use two separate radios with two chains each or even better two separate devices with as short antenna cables as possible. Always choose the most appropriate device to the purpose you want to achieve.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Dual chain with 2 different antenna types

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:31 am

1 is normal situation. You can have more ssids on one wlan interface without any problem.
So if I have an SSID using both chains and the antenna are very different this won't cause a problem? For example if a client was connecting with both antennas and then moved further away and then could only get signal on one?