vanille
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

SIM NOT INSERTED

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:10 am

Good morning

solved on problem here... a new one rise there... :-(

A customer where I placed one wAP ac LTE6 kit called me because the premise where the unit was installed was going offline but switching off and on the power was solving.
I had a look and this is the problem.

The unit is working
The LTE card loose the connection
the status is "SIM not inserted"
Removing the power and restoring it was solving the problem
Also disabling and enabling the LTE card in the wireless menu was solving.

So the question: the message "SIM not inserted" should mean that the SIM is physically NOT correctly inserted and there should be NO way to remove power or reset the LTE...to have it working again.
Why this happen?

How can a reset of the LTE or a power cycle fix?

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: SIM NOT INSERTED

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:51 am

If the SIM is in an adapter, the connection can get flaky and require a reboot to "refresh" the status of the connection to the SIM itself. Mikrotik devices have a big problem with this, so you're not alone.

vanille
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:58 am

No, I am not using any adapter.
According to me, the only way to solve a message like "sin not inserted" is to remove and insert again, clean contacts, etc.
Power cycle or LTE reset should not solve a mechanical problem.

Maybe... you are saying that the SIM disconnects for a while due to weak contacts and, once restored it can not recover without a power cycle or lte reset?

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:17 pm

SIM not inserted + if you are sure that the SIM is correctly installed = normally means that SIM port is damaged/broken.

These are very very fragile.

Regards.

Daniele
just joined

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:08 pm

Good Afternoon,

I am experiencing the same issue where the SIM stops working. Cycling the power does not solve the issue.

Surely inserting a sim in the slot should not mechanically damage the connector. If this is the case it is very poor show from Mikrotik. We as users cant be held responsible for damage cause by just inserting a SIM card.

Does anyone have a solution for this, it is driving me crazy. It has happened to me already more than once. First time around Mikrotik helpline suggested I put sellotape behind the SIM card to increase its thickness and that seemed to work but now it has happened again and they told me it is maybe due to the heat softening the glue of the sellotape.

surely we as end users shouldn't have to resort to this sort of thing to get a product working!!! Mikrotik need to take responsibility for this issue and fix the problem.

pennytone
just joined

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Same issue here on wAP AC LTE6 kit. inserting the sim first time worked, second time, "sim not inserted". Power cycling, reinserting, trying a new sim, all the same result "sim not inserted". LTE card is showing as present.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:41 pm

Already tried the classic trick of putting a piece of tape on the other side of the sim before putting it in again ?
Makes it also easier to get it out again.

Sim card has tolerances.
So has the slot.
That piece of tape makes those tolerances smaller assuring the contacts keep in touch with the springs.

It doesn't hurt to try...

ajrocketcrew
just joined

Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:23 pm

Mikrotik, PLEASE HELP.
I have about 300 LTE devices deployed SXT and LHG. Every week, I am running 3-8 service calls to replace devices, because yes taking out and inserting does work, but problem will happen again, again and again (costing me soo much more than a new radio). Currently taking all the SXT out of service, almost every single one gets "SIM CARD NOT INSERTED" error. LHG happens less often, but have had a hand full of them; seems to be the newer style that uses the mini sim and has the spring action w/Click like SXT.
I am in MICHIGAN and I have a feeling that weather has a factor. As it is winter, service calls for sim failure are at all time high.
Testing other devices and may have to move away from Mikrotik.
PLEASE HELP; Mikrotik, PLEASE HELP!

Macme

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 pm

Hello,
Solved for now I hope.
Maybe could help someone with an explanation. I am experiencing the same issue where the SIM stops working (SIM card not inserted), nothing could help. Try everything (disable lte, reboot, reinsert SIM - nothing work ), I have send Mikrotik e-mail but no respond yet, I am using Lhg LTE6 and it was working fine for a mount. Then start errors with SIM not inserted more often every day. I have found some where the solution from a guy maybe here not sure. So what I have done is a solder with hot air gun the motherboard. After that it is working for 20 days with no problem at all.
I hope will stay like that. So for me this is a working solution. Maybe someone could help my experiencing.

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:03 pm

Funny, I too am just experiencing this Sim Card issue. Its -26 Deg C outside ambient. I have the LtAP in a cabinet. The system board temp in health was reading -1C when I first had this issue. I do not think this has been this low before, but I may be wrong. I checked my libre logging, and it has been below 0 only once a long time ago. This happened at approx 5am when it was the coldest. I knew this dropped as it has a always on VPN that dropped. - got alerts.

Got me thinking, is this due to temp causing the processor or something on the board to malfunction? So as a joke, I ran a speed test from this device to send to another at 800Mbit, just to warm it up a bit. Got it up to +1 Deg C now. Occasionally 2 Deg. Was hoping that the increase in temp may solve a contact issue with the sim card, or some other cold related issue.

I have power cycled the device ( its connected to a netpower 16) I have tried chnging from sim 3 to 2, and back, reboot, etc, any combination of stuff you can think of. Still cannot get the SIM to register as being present.

The LtAP is a cellular backup for a tower location. Its been in the cabinet, and no entry has been made or any disturbances to the cabinet and inside.

I will follow up with this if the warming by processor solves this issue. But it seems like I will have to do the 2 hour drive to go fix this.

This device has been up and running at this site for 2 winters, and approx 15 months.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:41 pm

Funny, I too am just experiencing this Sim Card issue. Its -26 Deg C outside ambient.
Yeah, never thought about this. But perhaps different SIM cards have a different temperature tolerances? Obviously, the carrier decides what brand/model/etc SIM, so it's not like you get a "cold weather SIM" from AT&T.

Also, since the SIM needs to execute code, so it needs power. And, voltage drops in cold.

But now I'm thinking on the SXTs maybe a heat sink tape OVER slots might not be a bad idea.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:24 pm

I do use LTE devices, some of them are WAP both with LTE and LTE6 cards, LHG, WAP AC etc...
From my experience you have to carefully place the card in the SIM slot... Sometimes, especially when an adapter is used, it might be a little more difficult to place it in position.
Maybe if you applied extra pressure in the SIM when inserting damaged the SIM slot ? Other than that i can't explain why the SIM is not detected by the modem...
Maybe you could as well try another SIM and see if you get the same result ?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:14 pm

Oh I wasn't discounting any of this... More that –26ºC is pretty cold, an element I hadn't consider re SIM cards. But "SIM NOT INSERTED" likely happen for a lot of reason BEFORE getting to tempature.
From my experience you have to carefully place the card in the SIM slot... Sometimes, especially when an adapter is used, it might be a little more difficult to place it in position.
Maybe if you applied extra pressure in the SIM when inserting damaged the SIM slot ? Other than that i can't explain why the SIM is not detected by the modem...
Maybe you could as well try another SIM and see if you get the same result ?
I'd add: "Using a SIM FF adapter or "3-in-1" SIM card IS BAD IDEA" to your list – if at all possible, get/order/etc the right sized SIM card from your carrier. Especially if the device is going to be mounted someplace not-so-easy to get to. Since "SIM NOT INSERTED" = "INTERNET NOT WORKING" in our cases, we buy extra SIM just in case its a "bad SIM".

So PLANNING the SIM card could be potential be problem is good idea EVEN in warm weather. Although this got me was curious, Google tells me the typical SIM is rated for –25ºC...
Industrial SIMs
With the increase of Machine-to-Machine (M2M) applications, there came a need to make SIMs more environmentally robust. While normal SIMs are operational within a temperature range of -25°C and +85°C, industrial grade SIMs are produced with higher resistance with an expanded temperature range of -40°C and +105°C. Other factors such as corrosion and impact on SIMs from vibrations were also improved.

While it might be a while on Mikrotik devices, support for eSIM/eUICC would avoid discussion of the SIM card. Now with an eSIM a "SIM NOT WORKING" might be more likely since it's pretty complex & mostly solved by NOT using an adapter for the SIM and/or securing the SIM in Mikrotik when installing the device.

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:33 pm

Don't know if you want to call this solved.... BUT, mine now connects. System Health is at 26 Deg C. Now I am sure it would of worked before, but I was sleeping so I did not get a chance to try it at any temps between 1 Deg C and 26.
I did LITERALLY nothing other than disbaled the LTE interface, then re-enable, and it changed to registered and functions.
Note: the LTE interface was ALWAYS enabled up until the point i manually disabled it. So unfortunately its not automatic.
I did have access from the ethernet side of the device to do this however. If it happens again, I will wait for the same scenario with temps go up, and then do a power cycle.

Saved me 2 hours driving!

Images are of temps. Red arrow is where issues started, then used failover route to continue logging.
Blue is where ran speed test between two MT devices in an attempt to warm up the LtAP , it worked a bit i guess :-P

So was it the sim card that shrunk from the cold that lost its pin contact and warming it up fixed it, or does the sim card just stop functioning at such cold? I never had this issue last winter.. so you can take a guess. But I also was not logging temps and had different things in the cabinet that may have kept it warmer. I used to have about 8 POE injectors, and now i'm just using a netpower 16P. I have also cut a couple holes in the cabinet for venting, where the heat is now naturally exiting, and before it may not have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:18 pm

Fascinating. Running a speedtest to generate CPU load, to generate HEAT, to get a SIM card working – this certainly isn't a problem in California.

Hard to know exactly why – Interesting it cut off at –25ºC, which is what seems like the spec for SIM cards. While the LtAP is rated down to -40°C.

Clive18e
just joined

Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:03 pm

Hi.

It seems that there is a design flaw somewhere by the sim card holder.

I am interested to know what exactly the guy who said he soldered the circuit board did. Like how can we fix this issue ourselves, as it's frustrating for myself, as well as for the customer.

TIA

Clive

heavenlyangel
just joined

Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 am

Post in forum for help.

mas7c
just joined

Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:20 pm

I am seeing the same issue with the LHG LTE6, I setup inside and then mounted the ant to a perm bracket outside. Inside I was getting pretty good signal and no issue but it seems that the act of moving the the dish flexes the thing enough to stop the SIM connecting consistently. Pretty poor design TBH having a push in slot relying on only pressure between the PCB and the case frame. I am using an adapter but tbh if the sim tray is correctly designed and manufactured I have seen few problem. I will try with a shim on the back of the card but here in Crete things get pretty hot and any flexing of the dish could introduce this problem. Franky I am getting a bit annoyed having to constantly run up ladders to fix something on such a regular basis.

fuba
just joined

Thu May 11, 2023 2:33 pm

I'm also experiencing issues with the SIM card slot on a "wAP LTE kit", one of the contacts seem to be faulty. This is not ok, Mikrotik! I contacted the local distributor and they said they can't even fix it, even if I pay for the repair. If you are shipping products with faulty/bad quality components you should do something about it, like a recall.

LeodePuij
just joined

Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:47 pm

Hello, had the same problem. Inserted new sim from MEO, reboot, "sim not inserted" error, reinsert, same problem. Went back to working vodafone sim what was just coming out of mikrotik, same problem.
So I used box-tape to stick the vodafone microsim in the mini-holder, sticked that in the mikrotik, reboot, and started up normally. Then I did the same trick with the MEO microsim, stick it with box-tape in the mini-holder, inserted that into the mikrotik, reboot, and worked also.
So, the mikrotik has a serious problem with its sim slot when using a micro-sim in a mini-sim holder.
Normally, other phone's, routers, etc do not have this issue. To me, this is a design error of a further very good router.