MikroTik App

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

wifi network interruptions since last update round

Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:15 am

Hi,
I'm a bit lost because I'm struggling with analyzing what is happening in my Mikrotik driven home network since I upgraded my devices (RB2011+2x HAP ac2) the last time.
(Note that I do not have a full proof that it started with the update but it is suggested strongly from observations.)
So I see the problems really with 6.48.3, 6.47.10 and 7.1beta6 which is sort of unexpected to me but not impossible.

So let me first try to explain the (main) issue:
Most of my wifi clients (I'm not totally sure it affects all of them, at least not in the same "heaviness". Main affected ones apparently are iOS devices and a Lenovo X1 while Samsung mobiles show less issues) suffer from wifi network interruptions. So apparently they stay connected fine to the network but there are no packets transferred for some time. I would estimate these are roughly between 10 and 30 seconds blackouts. The router logs show actually nothing related to those events (I have caps-debug on).
My wired hardware connected to the routers does not see those issues at all.

My setup is:
- central RB2011 running as CAPsMAN
- 2x HAP ac2 running purely as CAPs
- all on 7.1beta6 currently
- nothing really fancy. The CAPs are connected to the RB2011 via normal ethernet behind another regular switch
- one SSID for n and ac network running on all three devices

So I'm posting in the hope that either someone has seen similar things or to get pointers which kind of logging I could turn on or what else I can do to better understand what is happening.

Any feedback appreciated.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: wifi network interruptions since last update round

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:37 pm

I would not go with beta software unless there is an actual feature or fix you are looking for.

As for the actual problem, it sounds like rstp/stp is enabled on bridges on some(or all) of your devices. If disabling that doesn't work, then post the exports from your devices, so we can look for issues with the config.

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:20 pm

I would not go with beta software unless there is an actual feature or fix you are looking for.

As for the actual problem, it sounds like rstp/stp is enabled on bridges on some(or all) of your devices. If disabling that doesn't work, then post the exports from your devices, so we can look for issues with the config.
Right about beta. I was hesitant for some time but finally wanted to try if my issues are fixed (and I'm actually waiting for some of the features in 7 ;-))

Yes, some bridges still have rstp enabled. Specifically on the CAPs. I already disabled it on the main bridge on the capsman device which didn't change anything really. I will disable the remaining ones and monitor any changes. Do you have a pointer why that could cause such behavior and why it wasn't the case for the last years? I think it was/is the default for any new bridge?

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:28 pm

I have not had any of those issues with any specific version listed. If you have rstp/stp enabled on a bridge where your wireless interface is, that could be the issue due to the connection changes.

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:47 pm

I've disabled RSTP everywhere I was able to find it.
I don't see a real difference in behavior though.

I also remembered that I switched to local forwarding mode in my internal network because I think it should shorten some routes between internal devices in my topology. It might be that this was around the same time as the updates so it might be relevant and could be (part of) the problem.
As a sidenote I tried to switch it back to CAPsMAN forwarding but it caused connectivity issues with (at least some of) my clients while I have no real idea why. Not sure if that would have settled at some point.
In any case I'm not closer in finding the culprit. Therefore I'm attaching the configs of the three devices in case someone would like to take a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.