Community discussions

MikroTik App

mikrowell
just joined
Topic Author

v7.1rc1 reasonable for production for my usecase?

Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:39 pm

v7.1rc1 [development] is released!
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:13 pm
We believe this "release candidate" version is pretty much ready for "stable" release on all devices. If you experience any issue, please open a support ticket with as much details as possible and supout.rif file attached. Faster we can acknowledge all active issues, faster we can resolve them and release a "stable" version.

Quote source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177800#p874190

Only using ROS packages (configuring with cli over ssh):

[*]routeros-tile
[*]system
[*]dhcp
[*]security
[*]advanced-tools

Is it reasonable to install v7.1rc1 for production use on:

Router model: CCR1036-8G-2S+EM https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1036-8G-2SplusEM

Switch model: CRS354-48P-4S+2Q+RM https://mikrotik.com/product/crs354_48p_4s_2q_rm

Would it be unwise to do it?
I can image that many things around ROS need to be working and that demands time getting stable.
But given my use-case, is it likely to run into stability issues?

Thank you in advance for the input.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: v7.1rc1 reasonable for production for my usecase?

Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 pm

It is completely inadequate, and devoid of any logic, to use "rc" software in production.
But it's even worse to use a version (any) that just came out two days ago for something to put into production.
Really absurd.

(And it goes for anything, not just RouterOS)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:52 pm

Is it really so hard to read this topic viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177800 ?
You have to judge for yourself if RC version is equal to "production ready". Do not expect that someone will do tests especially for you.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:08 pm

We are long time MT User. We only use Long Term Version. Read the changelogs. Even with LT there are showstoppers fixed lately.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:20 pm

Question is why you can/will not use long time release?
Beta and RC are for test only.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:23 am

Only worth moving to v7 if there's a feature you absolutely NEED for some reason - even then its a silly idea.

I'll be on 6.x LT releases for probably quite a while (like 7.10 stable) - as also with the fundamental changes in a lot of the logic and objects, it'll be a 'whole network migration' plan to move to ROSv7 I feel.

santyx32
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:24 am

No way, beta software can be okay for your home network but not for production usage.

mikrowell
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Is it really so hard to read this topic viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177800 ?
You have to judge for yourself if RC version is equal to "production ready". Do not expect that someone will do tests especially for you.
Did you notice my quote in the top of my opening post?

mikrowell
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:50 pm

Question is why you can/will not use long time release?
Beta and RC are for test only.
Because for the switch in question:
CRS3xx will have L3 HW offloading in ROS v7 (currently in release candidate stage) where inter-VLAN routing will be offloaded to hardware switch chip and it will be possible to have wire-speed connections between devices in different VLANs/IP subnets.
See: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... Offloading

Also, since I'm designing a new network, starting with ROS7 instead of first ROS6 and then upgrading to 7 (when it soon(?) becomes stable) saves time & effort.
Since @emils is posting (see top of my OP):
We believe this "release candidate" version is pretty much ready for "stable" release on all devices. ...
(Also, it seems weird to me that 'RB5009UG+S+IN' will be available very soon and is ROS7 only; does that mean new hardware out to the market with testing (unreliable) software for production...?)

Anyway, based on the input so far: others take the comment of @emils with a grain of salt and advice me to save me pain & trouble (in addition of time & effort). :)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:16 pm

...Did you notice my quote in the top of my opening post?
Yes, I did.

You ask if RC version is "resonable" to be used as production one.
So for whom & why Mikrotik supports "stable" and "long term" versions in 6.x line?

mikrowell
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:41 pm

@BartoszP: I was referring to your comment regarding
Is it really so hard to read this topic....

Since I am quoting from that exact topic, it is reasonable to assume I did already read the topic you are referring to.

You have to judge for yourself if RC version is equal to "production ready".
I am asking for input on the experience of others, in relation to the post of @emils regarding:
We believe this "release candidate" version is pretty much ready for "stable" release on all devices.

So for whom & why Mikrotik supports "stable" and "long term" versions in 6.x line?

There might be several reasons: one of them is for custormers who need patches on there devices, but are not willing to adapt configurations and scripts to a new ROS version. Running a Debian 'testing' release doesn't make an admin a fool by default for example. I don't know what to expect from ROS, that's why I am actually asking others with more experience on ROS.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:21 pm

List the exact features you intend to use.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Since I am quoting from that exact topic, it is reasonable to assume I did already read the topic you are referring to.
I am asking for input on the experience of others, in relation to the post of @emils regarding: ....
We believe this "release candidate" version is pretty much ready for "stable" release on all devices.
On Aug, 25 you refered to the post from 23rd of August and it's resonable to assume that you had not read tens of posts sharing information: "problem...", "not working...", "missing ..."

If you ask if it would be resonable to put ROS 7rc1 into production it's obvoius to me that you like "livin' on the edge".

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:59 pm

v7.1rc1 reasonable for production for my usecase?
Simple answer NO.

hel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:46 am

It is not stable even in a basic setup on a home router. I can't imagine what to expect on a production router. Use it only for testing.

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:04 am

It is completely inadequate, and devoid of any logic, to use "rc" software in production.
But it's even worse to use a version (any) that just came out two days ago for something to put into production.
Really absurd.

(And it goes for anything, not just RouterOS)
This sort of broad sweeping statement is not accurate and appropriate in all cases. There's been many 'release ready' RouterOS versions that have had glaring issues and bugs
Just because something is labelled 'bugfix' (or whatever the current term is) doesn't mean stable and production ready. It's still a case of 'we think its stable, probably'

The only sensible sweeping logic is to first ask
1) what's the current situation, is everything stable or is there already a problem that needs addressing?
2) what features, fixes or improvements are in the new version?
3) what is the service impact/risk?

Those 3 things will change the strategy. In some environments yes absolutely the very latest RC should be applied immediately. If the network is already on fire the risk of anything worse is greatly outweighed by the potential to fix an issue. And if there's a desperately needed feature it again may be worth doing
Conversely if there's nothing inherently vital in updates, everything is perfectly stable and its a highly important segment then you probably shouldn't update AT ALL, especially with MikroTik

The only solid answer is 'it depends'. Circumstances always trump broad sweeping 1-size-fits-all statements