Community discussions

MikroTik App

michaelsage
just joined
Topic Author

Existing mikrotik routers and 5g

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi
I know mikrotik doesn't have a 5g offering (other than chateau) at the moment. I have a couple of different routers in the wild at the moment and wondered if any 5g "modem" is likely to be a drop in replacement or if there is likely to be a form factor change? For example will I be able to replace an LTE6 in an LHGG or wAP or even a RMB11g? I understand that we might not be able to answer the question at the moment, but I'm starting to pick up enquiries from areas in the UK that have 5g with EE and three mobile networks.
Thanks all

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Existing mikrotik routers and 5g

Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:36 am

There is a list of "miniPCIe" / external hotspots with USB that are supported:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Peripherals

If you study the bands of the modem and the bands in your area, you might find a good choice. Using "Field Test Mode" on a recent smartphone in your area (like a newish iPhone), would tell you something about the possible LTE bands - google specifics, but essentially you dial in Phone app: *3001#12345#* which will bring up some UI that shows cellular data. Then check the LTE bands support by the R11e-LTE6 and other from the list above.

One thing however, is some bands(/"carrier aggregations") require 4 antennas (4x4 MIMO) for "5G"/higher speed 4G. The wAP and LtAP, you could wire up 2 more external antenna ports to get to four antennas - we do that in the US with Telit 960s to get 4x4 MIMO. The SXT is more tricky since it's antenna design isn't necessary great for all 5G bands, and it only has 2x2 MIMO with no external SMA to add antennas.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:00 am

For example will I be able to replace an LTE6 in an LHGG or wAP or even a RMB11g?
We done it and works with limit usb2.0 480Mbps... but LHGGR or wAPRac have usb3.0 and are best to that job.
We use Quectel models, all works with m.2--mPCIe adapters. I must take picture and do a separate article about them .

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:36 pm

In the US at least, we find speedtest on a iPhone using it's LTE connect, will most of the time beat the R11-LTE6 in a stock MT device just because of the aligned LTE band support with the carrier – why we've replaced a lot of modem in Mikrotiks.

If you use a M.2 adapter, which @SiB has promised pictures/writeup :), you have a lot of choices. So M.2 with Quectel approach may be better – I just never tried. We've used the Telit in a few dozen things, and work great. But the Quectel is likely to get better treatment in UI/support than other brands, since they plan on shipping a few different, newer Quectel modems for Chateau. So I'd be curious to see SiB's writeup, since a Quectel would better align with Mikrotik direction, I'd think. But the Telit do work just find and get you 5G bands, with no adapter.

The Telit's are pretty "Mikrotik friendly": selectable USB2 or 3 support (so no taping pins) and support ECM (so higher speeds work in V6), and most importantly come in miniPCIe. I'd skipped Quectel since they didn't have a miniPCIe in the 5G lineup. Downside for the TelIt is Mikrotik's UI doesn't show all the RF stats, so your likely need a few scripts with AT commands if you want get all the RF data, lock bands, swap carrier firmware. Depends on mode/model/ROS version, but sometimes you only get RSSI with the Telit (e.g. no RSRP/RSRQ/CQI) in UI.

Now the antennas for some of the 5G bands, different ball of wax.
Last edited by Amm0 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:49 pm

R11mL-RG502Q-EA is an m.2 form factor module.
This measn a new Chateau 5G is first MikroTik RouterBoard device with m.2 slot and we can wait for that Chateau 5G (without modem) to buy unit cheaper and install other vendors.
That situation was with SXTR/LHGR in Poland Distributor CDR.pl and we use that opportunity to complete our set.
5G path is set :)

If anyone can share me a his pc with winbox to Chateau 5G then I complete more material's to all. I have first person with M11G+RM502Q and this give me test a AT commands.
About HowTo materials.. first I plan in this week do a HowTo thread to proper log all logs with one easy lte-support-generic.rsc file and I put that to my signature.