MikroTik App

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

DHCPv6 Client in 7.1beta6

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:39 am

Hi,

is there any known issue with DHCPv6 client in 7.1beta6?
My setup to get PD from the front router is stuck in "searching" at the moment while it used to work flawlessly.
Is there a known issue? Or any other hints because I can only guess that it's related to the version.

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: DHCPv6 Client in 7.1beta6

Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:02 am

I checked further things.
- when logging is enabled for dhcp I see that the client is sending multiple solicit requests on the correct ethernet interface towards the upstream router
- using packet sniffer on the same interface I see no single IPv6 packet at the time when the dhcp client is supposed to send requests
- connecting a Linux system to the upsteam router I get a successful delegation via "dhclient -6 -P -d -v --no-pid"

So this is less of an DHCP issue but probably a general IPv6 one?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 am

@woro: are you aware that 7.1rc1 is released (rc2 is rumoured to be out soon). So you should upgrade your device and retest. If the problem persists, ask in appropriate thread.

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:21 am

Yes, I'm aware of that. Unfortunately I'm not able to upgrade or downgrade ROS at this moment as it always fails to boot with "kernel failure" when I try and it stays on exactly this version. This is my other major issue besides IPv6. I reported that issue to support and in the 7.1rc1 thread where others report a similar thing.
A total factory reset I'm trying to avoid at least for the moment since when something goes wrong I'll take my household totally offline with that device being my central device.

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:33 am

So not sure what exactly fixed it because I replaced the RB2011 with a new RB4011 because of the update issue and the fact that IPv6 really behaved strange.
With the new RB4011 and 7.1rc2 I was able to get it to work again. First I thought it shows the same behavior but then figured out that IPv6 was disabled completely on the new device. After turning it on I got it to work.
Note that I checked this on the other device and it was at least visually in winbox NOT disabled but I'm not sure I ever toggled it explicitely.
In any case the problem is solved and I'm not totally sure what the issue was.