Community discussions

MikroTik App

dexznrl
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac as wireless bridge

Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:33 pm

I have a few hAP ac that I use as wireless bridge at a warehouse that one of my customers rent from another company.
The hAPs are now set as station pseudobridge because the accesspoints in the ceiling aren't Mikrotiks but some other brand and I have no insight into their settings.

Everything works just fine except for DHCP, I don't really need it either but it would be awesome to have a solution.

In each hAP we connect a couple of printers, we set them up with static IP anyway :).

From a reset without default configuration I connect the wifi as pseudobridge, and build a bridge with all available interfaces except 2.4GHz which is disabled.
Then just because I like to do it, I set up a DHCP client in the hAP. All good!

If I now connect a computer to the hAP it gets no IP-address. Unless I remove the DHCP client, then the computer gets the IP-address but if I also connect another computer we're back to square one.

The router that gives out the DHCP addresses is a bigger Mikrotik too. Could it be that I need to do some adjustments on the DHCP-server?
I'm asking because I've read about that some DHCP-servers can handle this and some can't?

Anybody with a solution?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac as wireless bridge

Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:57 pm

What i would do is :

1. Configure the Hap in station mode ( i don't think you need any layer 2 communication with the AP or the network that the AP exists )
2. Set the wlan interface of the HAP as WAN ( remove it from any bridge, create NAT masquerade rule for the wlan interface )
3. Either enable DHCP client on the wlan interface or set a static IP, if set static you must set DNS and routes as well
4. Create a Bridge with all other interfaces in, set an address to the Bridge and create a new DHCP server on your Bridge

Extra,
you could as well create a virtual wireless interface so that you can use your HAP as AP as well if needed... (Create the station as master, and the AP as slave virtual interface, not the other way around )
Add the virtual interface inside the Bridge...