Community discussions

MikroTik App

THX2000
just joined
Topic Author

Using Mikrotik hAP Lite as a WLAN AP und WLAN Client

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:40 am

Hi,

I´m new to Mikrotek routers, so please excuse if the question is really basic stuff :-)

I would like to realize the following:

LAN ports used as standard LAN connection with DHCP running 192.168.88.x
WAN port used for cable connection to any internet modem, router or network
WLAN AP to connect clients to the LAN of the Mikrotik hAP Lite

So this is pretty standard and I have configured the router already that this is working without any issues.
But what I want to add now (if this is possible), is a second WLAN which connects as a Client to my other WLAN home network, this network should be bridged to the WAN port of the Mikrotik hAP Lite router. So it should be possible to connect via cable or automatic via WLAN to my home network.

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Using Mikrotik hAP Lite as a WLAN AP und WLAN Client

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:41 pm

If I got correctly what you want then, remove all configuration on the second hAP, bridge all interfaces and set wireless mode to station-bridge and then connect it to the "main" one, by setting the same SSID and security profile settings

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:52 pm

Just to be sure :
You want to use the hAP Lite as a Router,
with 2 WAN (Ether 1 and Wlan1)
and still use the wlan1-Interface as an AP ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:31 pm

It is possible to configure wireless interface so that it will run as client to another AP and offer SSID (act as AP) at the same time.

However this comes with a high hurdle: the client function has to be configured on "master" wireless interface and the AP function can then only be configured on "slave" (virtual) wirekess interface. But this has a consequence: if client function is not connected to an AP, the AP function doesn't work. The reason is that while radio is not connected to AP, it's busy searching for SSID, continously changing frequency. Which is not good for AP function.

One would think that configuring AP on master and client on slave i terface would be sollution but it's not. Only master interface can control radio and if master is AP, it chooses frequency and stays there. Which means client on slave can not change frequencies in order to find AP. If radio parameters on AP and this device dont match (by accident), client is not abke to connect to AP.

The only sustainable sollution is to use two radios ... either a device with dual radios (that likely means 2GHz + 5GHz) or two devices, back-to-back connected with wire.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:14 pm

In other words the haplite was not the right purchase if the intent was this functionality.
Suggest the hapac lite is the cheapest option that can do what mkx noted.