Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dreaken
just joined
Topic Author

Have I Bricked my HAP ac lite?

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:14 am

In my attempts to turn my LHG 4G into a an AP with the Ac lite I have lost all Wi-fi output.

I couldn’t get the ac lite to receive my internet connection and I thought it might be an IP address conflict between the two units so I moved the ac lite from 88 - 89 and refreshed. The WiFI is now not transmitting.

Have have tried a factory reset (hold button, reapply power and hold until LED blinks. The LEDs seem to respond according to instructions but still no Wi-fi. I have also tried hard wiring to port 2 and accessing via the new and original IP address to no avail.

Assuming I get Wi-fi back I’d welcome thoughts on whether I should be able to connect my LHg 4G directly to the internet port or whether I need to make setting changes. I have it configured as Dual home AP.

I’m an enthusiastic learner on this stuff so apologies for terminology!

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Have I Bricked my HAP ac lite?

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:11 pm

Easiest would be to leave the LHG with default settings and manually configuring the hAP ac lite from scratch. All that should be done on the hAP side is:
Remove all configuration -
/system reset-configuration skip-backup=yes no-defaults=yes
Then you connect to the hAP through mac-telnet in Winbox
Bridging all interfaces -
/interface bridge add name=bridge
/interface bridge port add bridge=bridge interface=all 
Configuring the wireless part -
Security profile (wifi password) -
/interface wireless security-profiles set default mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa2-psk wpa2-pre-shared-key=password 
2.4Ghz interface -
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge ssid=2.4Ghz band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX tx-chains=0,1 rx-chains=0,1 security-profile=default disabled=no
5Ghz interface -
/interface wireless set wlan2 mode=ap-bridge ssid=5Ghz band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX tx-chains=0,1 rx-chains=0,1 security-profile=default disabled=no 

All the devices connecting to hAP via wireless or cable will receive an ip-address from the LHG and they should be able to acess internet, as long as, the LHG has default settings/has its own connection to the internet. You can also add an ip-address to the hAP via dhcp-client or manually if you will want to connect via layer3 - ip-address
/ip dhcp-client add interface=bridge disabled=no
*edit
All these steps can be done through GUI as well, I just prefer the CLI. Regarding the potential bricking of the device - if you cannot access it via any ether port or wifi you can always try Netinstall https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall

Dreaken
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:45 pm

Thank you so much a huge help. It’s gradually starting to make sense.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:04 pm

Quite likely you can use Winbox and MAC connectivity to access your HAP ac lite. Use any of ether2-ether5 ports (avoid using ether1, that one is by default intended for internet and winbox connection is blocked for security reasons) and when winbox lists device, click on MAC address (not its IP address). Then proceed per advice by @Rugx ...

Dreaken
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone. All now works perfectly by following the instructions above.

secretgarden
just joined

Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:40 am

Easiest would be to leave the LHG with default settings and manually configuring the hAP ac lite from scratch. All that should be done on the hAP side is:
Remove all configuration -
/system reset-configuration skip-backup=yes no-defaults=yes
Then you connect to the hAP through mac-telnet in Winbox
Bridging all interfaces -
/interface bridge add name=bridge
/interface bridge port add bridge=bridge interface=all 
Configuring the wireless part -
Security profile (wifi password) -
/interface wireless security-profiles set default mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa2-psk wpa2-pre-shared-key=password 
2.4Ghz interface -
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge ssid=2.4Ghz band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX tx-chains=0,1 rx-chains=0,1 security-profile=default disabled=no
5Ghz interface -
/interface wireless set wlan2 mode=ap-bridge ssid=5Ghz band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX tx-chains=0,1 rx-chains=0,1 security-profile=default disabled=no 

All the devices connecting to hAP via reddit hosting or cable will receive an ip-address from the LHG and they should be able to acess internet, as long as, the LHG has default settings/has its own connection to the internet. You can also add an ip-address to the hAP via dhcp-client or manually if you will want to connect via layer3 - ip-address
/ip dhcp-client add interface=bridge disabled=no
*edit
All these steps can be done through GUI as well, I just prefer the CLI. Regarding the potential bricking of the device - if you cannot access it via any ether port or wifi you can always try Netinstall https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall
Thank you! These instructions saved me too!