Community discussions

MikroTik App

giacomo
just joined
Topic Author

CAPsMAN network

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi All!

I've plan to deploy a WiFi network for a kindergarten using 6 RBcAPGi-5acD2nD cAP ac.
I need some clarifications.
Do I've roaming functionality using CAPsMAN?
The CAPsMAN manager can be an AP?
What are the advantage /disadvantage to use local or manager forwarding?
Could I use RouterOS installed on a VM (e.g. on Proxmox) as CAPsMAN manager? Do I need a license?

Thank you for the help!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPsMAN network

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:59 pm

Do I've roaming functionality using CAPsMAN?
CAPsMAN doesn't offer any benefit with regard to roaming between APs. If one properly configures APs manually then roaming works equally good.

The CAPsMAN manager can be an AP?
Yes.

What are the advantage /disadvantage to use local or manager forwarding?
CAPsMAN provisions only wireless part of CAP, wired part has to be provisioned manually on each CAP. And it should be configured so that it supports wireless configuration (e.g. multiple SSIDs over radio are usually accompanied by multiple VLANs). If the complex wired setup is only needed to carry traffic for wireless clients (e.g. different SSIDs), then using manager forwarding can make wired configuration almost trivial (CAP then only requires connectivity to CAPsMAN, can even be via some router).
Drawback is that all traffic to/from wireless hits manager device which causes quite some load, hence manager device has to be high performance one (with local forwarding magager device can be just any device).

Could I use RouterOS installed on a VM (e.g. on Proxmox) as CAPsMAN manager? Do I need a license?
Probably you can use CHR as CAPsMAN. If you plan for manager forwarding, then you'll probably need a license because free CHR license limits throughput through interface to 1Mbps (CHR licensing explained). For local forwarding the free CHR license limit won't be a problem, but I doubt it's worth running a VM with CHR just for provisioning of CAP devices (as explained above, any wireless device can do that part).