Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tdaddysimi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Can't get multiple vlans to talk on one port

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:56 pm

I have a CSS326-24G-2S+ running in production right now with the latest version 2.13 Installed. SFP1 is going to my headend router, port 23 and 24 are going to servers. Port 24 needs to allow multiple vlans to hit it, and port 23 needs only vlan 20 to hit it. I can make 1 vlan talk to 1 port but I can't make multiple vlans talk to one port. Any suggestions would greatly help.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can't get multiple vlans to talk on one port

Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:21 pm

When saying "multiple VLANs talk to one port" ... is the device, connected to that port, VLAN aware?

Tdaddysimi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:59 pm

The server is plugged into that port but I don't think its interface is vlan aware.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:18 am

The server is plugged into that port but I don't think its interface is vlan aware.
Very simple - you can't do it if the server on port 24 is not VLAN aware. In order to get multiple VLANs on the same physical interface, they must be VLAN tagged - one VLAN can be untagged. If the server does not understand VLAN tagging, it wont receive the VLAN tagged traffic.

For a workaround, if you have (or can install a second Ethernet port) on the server, configure two ports on the switch (one for each VLAN but NOT TAGGED), Configure the two ports on the service for the appropriate LAN configurations.