MikroTik App

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Signs of flaky cAP AC hardware?

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:21 am

Hi everyone,

I've had a CAPsMAN Deployment for a client of mine for quite awhile now. However, over last ~1+ month I've been dealing with what appears to maybe be failing hardware on a cAP AC unit?

Unit is controlled by CAPsMAN....

I will have the customer call me stating that suddenly devices either on their Guest SSID or the employee SSID do not have internet, and I will confirm by checking their DHCP leases and see the DHCP monster of "DHCP Offered".

Soon as I "Provision" this specific cAP AC unit -- everyone is able to connect and works 100% beautiful for probably another 2-days.

I have a support case open with MikroTik. Just looking for some input if anyone experienced similar on a cAP AC unit that maybe failed?

NOTE: There are several other CAPs controled AP's [wAP ACs] throughout this clients business. Those appear to operate nominally without this issue. The main issue appears to be this primary Access point which is mounted in center of a dining room for a restaurant. Majority of the clients connect to this AP. Usually ~15 devices at any given time

I'm tempted to swap out this specific AP with a TPLink unit.... Or gamble with another cAP AC unit I have on hand. The cAP AC unit that is currently deployed came from a distributor that I typically never purchase from. But had no choice at the time due to inventory reasons. I've not ever experienced this issue before with any of the MikroTik wAP ACs or cAP AC's I have in the wild.

kreload
just joined

Re: Signs of flaky cAP AC hardware?

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:01 am

I had a similar problem with one cap: it was a wrong vlan setting on my case. I had the port to the problematic cap configured as member of a specific vlan on ports and declared as trunk on vlan table. After i changed the port as member of vlan 1 and “accept only vlan tagged”, problem was gone.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:26 pm

I would have a 2.4 radio refuse to accept clients until restarted. So I set the router to netwatch a wireless printer that was near that AP. If it dropped offline. I would disable then reenable that 2.4 radio. Devices would all reconnect again.

The problem was most apparent where I had:
1: URC remote controls connected to the access point.
2: where the AP had a lot of nearby competing access points.

If I had both problems at the same place... I had to change vendors as the connectivity problems would be constant

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 pm

I had a similar problem with one cap: it was a wrong vlan setting on my case. I had the port to the problematic cap configured as member of a specific vlan on ports and declared as trunk on vlan table. After i changed the port as member of vlan 1 and “accept only vlan tagged”, problem was gone.
Thank you for this suggestion and tip. I've combed through the config numerous times. I will again take another look at my configs :)
The issue will move from either the employee SSID or the guest SSID, both will randomly be effected. But soon as a re-provision the issue goes away for a day or so.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 pm

tplink eap245, get one try it, if solves issues get more. Works for me far more stable than capac.
To be fair, many iot devices and apple device are just plain ornery when it comes to wifi.

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:05 pm

tplink eap245, get one try it, if solves issues get more. Works for me far more stable than capac.
To be fair, many iot devices and apple device are just plain ornery when it comes to wifi.
Yes - I have used eap245's and eap225's. I have a eap225 on-hand. I am going to deploy this to replace the cAP AC and perhaps just wash my hands of it. I've been debating to swap out the cAP AC with a new replacement unit... but fearful it'll flake again. Rare I have issues with MikroTik wireless hardware or their hardware in general...... but........