Community discussions

MikroTik App

KoutsiDK
just joined
Topic Author

BaseBox 2 vs OmniTik 5

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:22 am

Hello network dudes!

My family owns 2 three-story blocks as you can see in the image below. F2 and F3 of B1 and F3 of B2 are rentable apartments, and we provide internet connection via the Ubiquiti AP LR that is located inside the F3 of B1, which I am planning to replace with an outdoor AP and I decided to go Mikrotik.

I am interested in BaseBox 2 and OmniTik 5, and I have some concerns which I am about to break down.

Basebox 2
Why I consider it: 2.4 GHz is probably the best option for this setup. Better in every aspect than the UAP AC, so it just gonna work anyway. I also already have 2 huge high-gain antennas to hook it with, so no extra cost for that.
What is my concern: I don't wanna interfere with all my neighbours' APs

Omnitik 5
Why I consider it: No interference with neighbours' APs. Integrated antennas for the same price as Basebox.
What is my concern: I am afraid that 5GHz is not good enough for penetrating the walls. Maybe the furthest spots inside the apartments will really struggle getting signal.

So which one do you think that would make the cut better? Or maybe should i consider some other device?

Thanks in advance, every opinion is appreciated

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: BaseBox 2 vs OmniTik 5

Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:47 pm

Use external omni 5 and 3 hapac^3, one for each apartment, using the 3rd 5GHz to connect to the omnitik 5. Done.

KoutsiDK
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:36 pm

Use external omni 5 and 3 hapac^3, one for each apartment, using the 3rd 5GHz to connect to the omnitik 5. Done.
OK sure this sounds optimal, however I have a pretty good reason why I won't do this
1) I cannot trust those random people having my equipment on their hands, and you know some people feel way too comfortable messing around with stuff
2) More devices means higher chance of failure, and I am present only on weekends because I work in another town. My relatives are not capable of resolving tech issues
3) Extra cost

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:44 pm

1) Like TV, fridge, etc. if the tenant broken something, then he repay that, and MikroTik device is not resettable like almost all other vendors...

2) Yes, but if one apartment are not serviced, the other 2 still active, just if omnitik 5 or your ISP router is broken stop all 3 apartments,
and if work when you go away, no one change config and only your ISP, or the power source, can be the problem...

3) If you do not invest, you do not gan...

KoutsiDK
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:55 pm

1) Like TV, fridge, etc. if the tenant broken something, then he repay that, and MikroTik device is not resettable like almost all other vendors...

2) Yes, but if one apartment are not serviced, the other 2 still active, just if omnitik 5 or your ISP router is broken stop all 3 apartments,
and if work when you go away, no one change config and only your ISP, or the power source, can be the problem...

3) If you do not invest, you do not gan...
Sorry to say so, but just throwing there everything I have to make it work is a very amateur approach, and it doesn't even require any sophisticated kind of equipment or knowledge. Due to all respect, I want to take the most out of anything I can.
So no, I think that using the least amount of devices possible is actually the best option
And yes, if in the long run is required to add more equipment is fine, but I have to go with the most effective design as possible