Community discussions

MikroTik App

bent
just joined
Topic Author

CubeG-5ac60adpair not working out-of-box

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:25 am

Hey guys,

Just got myself a CubeG-5ac60adpair that won't connect to eachother straight out of the box as expected.
The setup I'm looking to achieve is as follows; Main router (WRT 32X)<---->Cube1 ))))))(((((( Cube2 <----->Zyxel switch connected to some IP-cameras. No obstacles in the path of wireless transmission (about 5 meters away from each other as of now for troubleshooting).
If I understand this right I should be able to see my IP cameras as if they were connected straight to my main router, which I'm not.
The only thing I've tried so far is to switch which cube is connected to the main router since there are no clear way to tell which one is supposed to. The only difference between the two cubes is that one has a sticker on the side with username and password on it. No other changes or configuration has been made, since the manual says "configuration is optional".

I've managed to connect to each cube by connecting them separately (not at the same time) to my main router and using winbox and each cubes mac-address.
This is the config on each cube:
Cube 1 - password protected login
[admin@MikroTik] > export
# jan/02/1970 00:01:19 by RouterOS 6.47.10
# software id = 8LWK-U6S3
#
# model = CubeG-5ac60ad
# serial number = E2A30DE7D11D
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=08:55:31:C8:54:FA auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX disabled=no frequency=auto installation=outdoor mode=bridge ssid=MikroTik-c854fa
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=bridge name=wlan60-1 password=XXXX-XXXX ssid=MikroTik-c854fa
/interface w60g station
add comment=defconf mac-address=08:55:31:C8:54:FB name=wlan60-station-1 parent=wlan60-1 remote-address=08:55:31:C8:55:9D
/interface bonding
add comment=defconf mode=active-backup name=bond1 primary=wlan60-station-1 slaves=wlan60-station-1,wlan1
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk comment=defconf disable-pmkid=yes mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa2-pre-shared-key=5fa1-563e
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=bond1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.2/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=192.168.88.0

Cube 2 - no password protected login
[admin@MikroTik] > /export
# jan/02/1970 00:08:41 by RouterOS 6.48.4
# software id = WAPC-Z5P3
#
# model = CubeG-5ac60ad
# serial number = E29D0E463646
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=2C:C8:1B:43:05:DE auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX disabled=no frequency=auto installation=outdoor mode=station-bridge ssid=MikroTik
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=station-bridge name=wlan60-1 ssid=MikroTik
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=wlan60-1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=192.168.88.0

My main router has no special configurations, also tried with different router but same result.

Really hope you guys can help me out, thannks in advance!

velk1001
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CubeG-5ac60adpair not working out-of-box

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:33 pm

I wouldn't be 100% sure but i think the SSID's are not the same, one is MikroTik-c854fa and the other is MikroTik, they should be the same .

192.168.88.1 is the AP
192.168.88.2 is the client

velk1001
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:56 pm

I think i would reset the AP to default's as its not correct.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:40 am

SSID MUST be the same. Did you edit the export and removed the "-c854fa" ???
Also the password and shared-key must match. but security profile is missing in the second cube ("station bridge")

The cube-2 should have 08:55:31:C8:55:9D as MAC address on w60g, to match.

And huh .... "bridge" is an AP that only can have a a single client, "station-bridge" is a client setup. But that direction is not important for the traffic.

It looks like cube2 has not been configured as paired with cube1. Not sure if factory reset will just fix that.
(I expect it to default to what is now in cube-2, without matching SSID, password, shared secret and MAC address).
AFAIK they normally come as 192.168.88.2 and 192.168.88.3 . Just another reason to think cube-2 is not properly paired, or has been factory reset.
Also no "bonding" , and an upgraded RouterOS version (6.48.4 versus 6.47.10) for paired devices ?????

With some luck , there is still a correct backup or RSC file, in the flash ("Files"), that can be restored after a factory reset. Or there is a dedicated QuickSet.

EDIT:
192.168.88.1 is the configuration used in the single device (to be configured in PtP or PtMP): https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/Cube+60G+ac
192.168.88.2 and 3 is typical for the preconfigured PtP paired configuration: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... +Wire+Cube

If you lost the configuration of the second Cube ... this can help you recreate it: viewtopic.php?t=170983#p841316

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:23 pm

Interesting, doesn't the cube IP address have to be modified to be on the same LAN subnet as what the first router is providing??

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:23 pm

Interesting, doesn't the cube IP address have to be modified to be on the same LAN subnet as what the first router is providing??

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:25 pm

Yes as always.
It's all about management tasks, as this device needs no IP address to be a "wireless wire". With 2 and 3 , they already considered the default MT gateway 192.168.88.1.

I usually start with a DHCP client on the bridge for my MT devices. (So it sets a usable IP address, and default gateway for IP route, even DNS, when plugged in the network ) and I then set NTP, and syslog server etc.
Only when properly configured , the DHCP client is disabled. (IP route is needed for my remote management from far far away).

And the wiki documents specific SNMP OID's , which will be used in DUDE.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:32 pm

That was my point, we dont know the lan subnet notation the NON FRIGGEN MT, Router is providing to the first Cube..........................................
or for that matter the IP address of the switch the second cube is attached too........

bent
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:32 pm

Hey guys,

Thank a lot for your replies!
After some tinkering I finally got it working!!
Started with the SSID mismatch as you proposed (which I'm a bit ashamed of for not noticing...) and removed the password just for troubleshooting purpose, also set the correct region (eu) if that matters. Also double-checked and configured the right MAC-addresses. After this I could see that the W60G-station interface on Cube1 started getting traffic, and same for the W60G interface on Cube2 (after doing the switch between cube connected to main router as described earlier). Still I had no luck with connecting through winbox to Cube2 when having Cube1 connected to my main router. This is when I saw that the W60G-station interface was set to "put in bridge: parent" and changed it to my bridge interface, and voilá I can now access Cube2 from winbox!
Still no luck with the IP-cameras at this point, but after setting up a DHCP-client for the bridge interface and removing the "hardcoded" 192.168.88.X adress under IP-address list, all the cameras came online and are receiving IP from main router!
Also removed the bonding interface since it didn't seem to do much, at least not for this setup but let me know if it should still be enabled.

Here is each cubes settings as of now:

Cube1
# sep/24/2021 23:04:06 by RouterOS 6.47.10
# software id = 8LWK-U6S3
#
# model = CubeG-5ac60ad
# serial number = E2A30DE7D11D
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=08:55:31:C8:54:FA auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX frequency=auto installation=outdoor mode=bridge ssid=MikroTik-c854fa
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=bridge name=wlan60-1 region=eu ssid=MikroTik
/interface w60g station
add mac-address=08:55:31:C8:54:FB name=wlan60-station-2 parent=wlan60-1 put-in-bridge=bridge remote-address=2C:C8:1B:43:05:DF
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk comment=defconf disable-pmkid=yes mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa2-pre-shared-key=5fa1-563e
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=*6
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Stockholm

Cube2
# sep/24/2021 21:04:40 by RouterOS 6.48.4
# software id = WAPC-Z5P3
#
# model = CubeG-5ac60ad
# serial number = E29D0E463646
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=2C:C8:1B:43:05:DE auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX frequency=auto installation=outdoor mode=station-bridge ssid=MikroTik
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=station-bridge name=wlan60-1 region=eu ssid=MikroTik
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=wlan60-1
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Stockholm

One thing I'm wondering is why Cube1 has two interfaces (w60g and w60g-station), where the station interface gets all the traffic and if I disable the w60g interface all connection and traffic to cube2 is lost. How are these two reliant on eachother?
I've also not touched the security profiles for the wireless tables; from what I can see they differ between the cubes but the traffic still gets through? Is this something that you think i should look into?

If you see some scary stuff in the settings (other than the missing password for wireless..) please let me know.

All-in-all, thank you so much for taking your time to help me!!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:56 am

Hi, the "bonding" is that special extra feature of the CUBE60 to work in 60GHz but have an automatic failover to 5 GHz whenever the 60GHz link fails. (bad weather, smog, rain, snow, or any other temporary obstruction). As long as 60 GHz works , the 5 GHz will just be in standby. It is also usefull whenever a modification is made to the 60 GHz setup, without losing the connection.

The 60GHz primary interface and station interface combination reminds me of a typical WDS setup. When you look at PtMP setups you will see a station interface for every connection. That is the way WDS is set up as well. (MP requires licence level 4, and is more for the wide angle device like the W60G). https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/W60G
For 5GHz the more convenient "bridge"-"station-bridge" is used here. But one could change that to WDS if separate interfaces are needed like in bonding for PtMP.
WDS has some limitations in packet aggregation and other optimisations AFAIK.

I don't understand the relation between a DHCP client IP address on the CUBE60 and the fact that the camera's started working. The connection is L2, the IP address on the cubes is for management only.

Like in a WDS setup, the security of the main wifi interface is not related !????????....

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... GUIexample

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:08 am

bpwl are you saying the cube is transparent to any ethernet connection it is on, (or equivalent to a dumb switch?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 am

Well, that is what I do with SXT SA5 ac<->SXTsq PtMP, and SXTsq<->SXTsq PtP connections, and what I expect from the CUBE.
You do pass over 2 bridges, that's the connection. Be aware of the double L2 hop, and possible (R)STP actions (root bridge election, loop mitigation) and the L2-network-diameter.
Wifi has a 4-address problem , what is mitigated by either the MT driver and the "AP-bridge","bridge","station-bridge" modes , or with WDS in 5 GHz.
60GHz has it's own drivers. That "station" definition looks similar to the WDS mode of operation.

CUBE wireless wire:= ether - bridge - bonded interface - bridge - ether

I'll have the CUBE wireless link operational in 2-3 weeks in the larger wifi network (replacing an Engenius WDS link, the rest of that network is MT 5GHz "bridge" modes, linking 21 wired networks with AP's as 3 logical LAN)

velk1001
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:27 am

Yes they are transparent and just pass traffic across the ethernet ports

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:49 pm

Okays so either
a. they were not configured properly when packaged/sent
b. the op changed some settings not necessarily on purpose preventing them from working