Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dyslexicbloke
just joined
Topic Author

Capsman not provisioning radio in same router?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi Folks...
I am fairly new to all this but have a RB2011UiAS-2HnD set up as Capsman, currently with its radio off, and 4 CAP's which are working, well as far as I know but it is just the most basic config I could get to work.

I have two indoor AP's and two outdoor, all 2.4 only. as far as I know the only thing I have done that is beyond absolutely basic is to define some channels.

The radio in the RB2011UiAS-2HnD seems to work as expected when set up as an AP Bridge although as I don't want to use it like that I haven't gone beyond resetting the interface and changing the name / ID.

When I enable CAP for that interface I get red text below the interface listing telling me the interface is managed by CapMan... It isn't.
Nothing shows up in the Caps manager and the only log entry I see is telling me the CAP config was changed.

I think from memory I was originally, months ago, seeing something about a name/ID conflict that had something to do with DHCP but I cant find that now and as I recently updated all the packages and FW it, the message, has either gone or I forgot where I found it in the first place.

The only other think I can think to mention right now is that on the 'Remote CAP' tab of the CAP's Man one of my connected AP's has an IP address in the address column whilst the other two, one is disconnected right now, show their MAC address. I don't know if this is connected but the difference seems a little anomalous.

Specifically I need to know how to get the radio in my RB2011UiAS-2HnD to a state where the Capsman, running in the same box, can configure it.
A general discussion about best practice / performance wouldn't be a bad thing but I already confused and would like to deal with one thing at once unless my base config is likely to be the cause of the specific issue.

Happy to post logs / pics but I hope you folk will know what to ask for as opposed to me sending an entire collage :-)

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Al

Dyslexicbloke
just joined
Topic Author

Just an update...

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:56 pm

I had another look at settings and tried several combinations of discovery interface and bridge.

The radio is now appearing in Capsman, although I had to take the port out of the bridge and then put it back to get that result.
HOWEVER... It still isn't working. I have the error back, which I guess is progress ...

removing stale connection [::ffff:192.168.10.254:38486,Run,[74:4D:28:E4:22:4B]] because of ident conflict with [::ffff:192.168.10.254:53453,Join,[74:4D:28:E4:22:4B]]

Each tome the interface drops off the Cap Manager list it almost immediately pops back up and I gat this log entry again.
Log1.png
This just repeats.

This is very odd ... 74:4D:28:E4:22:4B is the MAC of 'sfp1' and as there is nothing in the cage and the port is marked disabled I have no Idea why/how it could conflict with anything!
Sort of hoping someone will point out how silly I am being somewhere and fix this!

Just to be clear... I only get this error when the onboard radio, 74:4D:28:E4:22:56, is told to join the Cap Manager.

Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dyslexicbloke
just joined
Topic Author

More digging - Seems to be a firewall issue!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:36 pm

I found this ... viewtopic.php?t=98753
I have added both rules, not that I understand why, YET, and IO am seeing traffic on the INPUT from my CapsMan/Radio IP, nothing on the UDP rule but that may only be active when a cap is joining the manager.

Currently have all other CAP's unplugged and the new AP, in the CapManager box is working.

Interestingly when I first configured the manager, over 12 months ago, I had to allow local forwarding, which I didn't want to do as I hoped to monitor all traffic on all CAP's, thus requiring all traffic to go via the CAP Manager.
This seems related... and thus far a mystery to me.

Above I said I didn't want to get into the general setup of the CapsMan but I now realise I am clearly missing the point somewhere so would like to get into why what I just did works at all, and thus what the issue was in the first place, and how I should be doing the job.

Comments on firewall and CapsMan? Firewall in general?

Any input folks?
Al