Community discussions

MikroTik App

nycnoob
just joined
Topic Author

Setup help

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:57 am

good evening!

I have a microtik HEX S router for home/office use, and I am new to this platform. Not a complete noob, but close enough.
HEX S exists to connect me to my ISP, and using the HEX for my DHCP server as well.

My goal, based on what I've thought about and discussed, is to have my Cisco switch connect to my HEX, and the HEX then connects to my ISP.

On my Cisco switch, I will have a few APs plus a couple servers and the wireless controller for the APs.

Here is how things currently sit:
HEX
ETH1 is my link to my ISP
ETH5 is my link to the cisco switch.

On the switch, right now, it's one flat network.

My aim, but I keep confusing myself on how to do this, is as follows:
One VLAN, linked to one DHCP pool for my access points (i have a few for the office, I want these to be in a different pool)
One VLAN, linked to another DHCP pool, for general user access.
One VLAN, linked to another pool, for servers/routers/switches/anything needing a static IP.
Possibly a 4th for admin/miscellaneous travel.

Now, I've built the pools but thats where I get lost. I tinkered a little over the weekend but didn't get it working.

Basically, I want my AP that is on switch port 1/6, to be assigned to VLAN 50. Once it requests a DHCP address, that AP would be statically assigned an address, like 172.10.10.10
Then, if I plug in my NUC on port 1/9, it would be assigned to VLAN 75, and once it pulls an IP, it would go to 172.10.10.10.75

What would be the best/smartest way to do things? This is a brand new build, so I have some wiggle room if I need to start from scratch.

JazzMaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Setup help

Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:34 pm

Have you ever seen the "Router On A Stick" setups?

nycnoob
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 pm

can't say that i have...but now i feel like i am going to lose a bit of time this morning looking all that up...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:24 pm

Please read this article on how to setup the MT.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=143620

Basically you create as many vlans as you need,
create them with interface being the bridge.
Assign ip pool, ip address, dhcp server, dhcp server for each vlan

Then assign bridge ports (ether1 the wan does not go on the bridge).
ETher 2 is on the bridge as a trunk port.
ether 3-4 can be use for anything you wish to a pc or to another switch etc.........
ether 5 you may want to keep as an OFF the bridge, emergency access to the router in case the bridge config goes squirrlly on you.