Corsari
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac lite as WiFi repeater with cellphone hotspot

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:30 am

Hello
I have this question

If I enable hotspot in my cellphone

is it possible to use the "hAP ac lite" to connect to the cellphone wifi hotspot and repeat/share the internet connection to the wired computers?

Do you have any kind link to some guide for THIS SPECIFIC purpose? If any, thank you in advance

Please note that this "hAP ac lite" is a spare one so I can start with a total reset/wipe

Thank you for any kind help/link

Cor.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac lite as WiFi repeater with cellphone hotspot

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:00 pm

Yes.

You need to break off a wifi interface from the bridge.
Make it a client.
Add the connection profile.
Connect that to the wifi of your hotspot.
Then set that wifi interface as you wan port.

Your specific config makes it next to impossible to give you a "just paste this."...
Unless your device is default.

Corsari
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Hello

thank you for replying!!! :-)

I forgot to write that this is a spare hAP ac lite

I can wipe it/reset (I did it few weeks ago after an update to latest available routerOS) and did few experiments (no success, I wanted to use it as IPSec VPN client from a site to connect to a TP-Link that is central in the VPN star)

So I can reset it again

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:13 pm

Not sure if it's legal to post here a reddit post, but some cool guy explained a very similar situation to yours there. As gotsprings already explained, just set the wlan interface that will connect directly to the hotspot as WAN/outer-interface.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mikrotik/comme ... c/h1axe2t/

Corsari
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:05 pm

Not sure if it's legal to post here a reddit post, but some cool guy explained a very similar situation to yours there. As gotsprings already explained, just set the wlan interface that will connect directly to the hotspot as WAN/outer-interface.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mikrotik/comme ... c/h1axe2t/

I have read the reply, maybe the copy and paste part is easy

but the introduction is not understandable for me

telnet part is done

but the remaining steps are a mess, for the simple reason that I'm new to this routerOS

router will reboot and remove everything <--- unique sharp concept :-)

Set your last bridge port interface the one you are currently connected via laptop, as you will get a disconnect <--- via cable or via wifi? And ... where?

Before applying, set the default wireless security profile wpa2 password to the public networks password (or delete the entire line if public with no authentication) <--- where?
and choose your own 5Ghz password in the next line at wpa2-preshared-key <--- where?
Set the wlan1 (2.4Ghz) SSID to the public networks and adjust the Wlan2 (5Ghz) to your liking <--- how?

Also, it is highly advised to set your routers password for configuration via /password in terminal, or you can create a new user through /user add <--- is it the admin password or the one of a different user?

Firewall rules I took from the default settings, adjusted to wlan1 as main interface

Corsari
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Ok, thanks to so many guides on the internet

I have reset the router (I have done a double reset, first through SSH and second through reset button)

now the router is 192.168.88.1

I have setup the WIFI security and changed the admin password and why not added a user in "full" group with a strong password too

Now the point not very sharp is .. which is the connection to prefer to connect to the hAP ac lite for issuing the long list of SSH terminal commands?

Thank you for hinting, supposing I'll be able to configure it, I prefer the router to connect to access point through 5GHz connection for the speed

Corsari
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:01 pm

Yes.

You need to break off a wifi interface from the bridge.
Make it a client.
Add the connection profile.
Connect that to the wifi of your hotspot.
Then set that wifi interface as you wan port.

Your specific config makes it next to impossible to give you a "just paste this."...
Unless your device is default.

Now the router got reset

so thank you if you can kindly give some hints

You need to break off a wifi interface from the bridge. <--- do you mean to change the dropdown menu in the wireless which is labeled "Mode" and currently is set to "ap bridge" ? Or you do mean switch the Webfig interface to "advanced" and change "bridge mode" from "enabled" to "disabled" ? Thank you
Make it a client. <--- no idea
Add the connection profile. <--- no idea
Connect that to the wifi of your hotspot. <--- maybe it will be easy
Then set that wifi interface as you wan port. <--- no idea

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 pm

In the given setup from reddit, the interface that is used to connect to "hotspot" is wlan1 (2.4Ghz) if you will be connecting to the hotspot through wlan2 (5Ghz) then just swap wlan1 to wlan2 in all the places from the given "code" in reddit

Set your last bridge port interface the one you are currently connected via laptop, as you will get a disconnect <--- via cable or via wifi? And ... where?
It will be a brief disconnect if you are connected through mac-telnet, if telnet, then it shouldn't even occur. Just put all interfaces under the same bridge ports except the one (wlan) that will be connecting to the hotspot
/interface bridge port

add bridge=bridge interface=wlan2

add bridge=bridge interface=ether1

add bridge=bridge interface=ether2

add bridge=bridge interface=ether3

add bridge=bridge interface=ether4

add bridge=bridge interface=ether5
Before applying, set the default wireless security profile wpa2 password to the public networks password (or delete the entire line if public with no authentication) <--- where?

Default security profile is used to connect to the hotspot, password is being set here (PublicNetworkPassword)
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa2-pre-shared-key=PublicNetworkPassword
Here (YourPrivateNetworkPassword) is added a different password for your other network, not necessary if you want your "repeating" network to have the same password as the hotspot
/interface wireless security-profiles
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys name=5Ghz supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa2-pre-shared-key=YourPrivateNetworkPassword
Set the wlan1 (2.4Ghz) SSID to the public networks and adjust the Wlan2 (5Ghz) to your liking <--- how?

2.4Ghz is set through wlan1, just change the PublicNetworkSSID to your hotspots SSID
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX disabled=no ssid=PublicNetworkSSID
The same goes for 5Ghz (YourPrivateNetworkSSID) if you choose to keep the same password then change security-profile from 5Ghz to default
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX disabled=no mode=ap-bridge security-profile=5Ghz ssid=YourPrivateNetworkSSID
Also, it is highly advised to set your routers password for configuration via /password in terminal, or you can create a new user through /user add <--- is it the admin password or the one of a different user?

Simple /password will adjust the admin, press enter (leave empty) when required the current one as you probably have it empty, then repeat twice the new one.

I'm pretty sure I confused you in many more ways. best would be to copy the code from reddit to a notepad or something and edit the parts given above to your liking and copy the entire thing into the terminal or step by step from top to bottom.
Last edited by Rugx on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:19 pm

Start with removing the current configuration and download Winbox to connect through mac-telnet
/system reset-configuration skip-backup=yes no-defaults=yes
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Winbox

I find it easier this way, but you can edit the default configuration as well, though it would be messier for me to explain it then