Community discussions

MikroTik App

sysatti
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN based guest Wifi at home with Router + 2 APs

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:36 pm

Folks,

I'd like to kindly ask for an advice. After studying several wiki pages, watching youtube tutorials I get more an more confused what setup I should go with. I'd like to have 3 different WLANs with different level of accesses described below.

I have the following 3 devices:
Main router: RB750Gr3 - switch: MediaTek MT7621 (Internet connected to Port1)
AP1: RBcAPGi-5acD2nD - switch: Atheros 8327 (connected to Port2 of the router)
AP2: RB952Ui-5ac2nD - switch: Atheros 8227 (connected to Port3 of the router)
Netgear layer2 switch (for all internal wired devices) - (connected to Port4 of the router)

On the APs I'd like to create the following 3 WLANs (no capsman for now - they will be independent 2 x 3 SSIDs)
- Internal (Let's call VLAN 100) - should be able to access internal network, Internet and management of Mikrotik devices (same VLAN as switch on router Port4)
- Guest (Let's call VLAN 200) - Internet only - no access to other internal networks
- IoT (Let's call VLAN 300) - Internet only - however devices accessible from internal network

My main concern here is probably the MediaTek switch that I have in the main router as per the following articles:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... p_Features (as per this - the MediaTek does not really support VLAN table)
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:B ... witch_chip (as per this, the router configuration must follow a completely different method due to the switch)

What do you think? What setup I should apply for the best performance? Will that even work with these devices?
Thanks a lot for your help!

s.a.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN based guest Wifi at home with Router + 2 APs

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:53 pm

Read this article it contains all the answers and examples of setups..........
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=143620

I have very similar layout ccr1009, to 24 port managed switch on one ether port, 8 port managed switch on other port, hex router acting as a switch, and 3 smart APs in the house etc.....

sysatti
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:55 pm

Thank you very much! I take a look at it.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:59 pm

When you think you have a config that is about ready, feel free to share here for feedback.
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwant.

Also a network diagram helps show the linkages desired.