MikroTik App

modsx
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Packet loss, RMA & QA.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:35 pm

60Ghz is a standalone packet loss.
Even in the warranty test under laboratory conditions, there is a packet loss every few minutes (at 1000ms ping which means seconds), but the warranty is denied because the Mikrotik ping tool shows 0% packet loss (MT is used https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2925.txt algorithm).
Even if the client cannot work in a video conference, remote desktop, play games, etc. without interruption, it counts as normal.
In my opinion, this is not normal and you cannot compete with such a service. For example 5Ghz we do not have such a problem and it is fast enough.
Yesterday I sold a 4x 60 Cube Lite. The buyer says that they will replace them with the new Cube 60G ac because they are said to be bad and the warranty is also denied. But the buyer did not want me to understand that there is no problem with the equipment, but MikroTik in general :(.
I find it hard to believe that no one here discusses such a problem with packet loss, respectively the question - what quality of service you offer?
Well Forum users and Guru, what will you say about the quality of service in real conditions?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Packet loss, RMA & QA.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:06 pm

I would not consider a packet lost every few minutes on a wireless link a fatal problem that would require replacement or return of the equipment.
Also it should not interrupt video conferences etc. Probably there is something else going on, and you think packet loss is the cause only because you found these in your tests.

modsx
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:39 pm

I would not consider a packet lost every few minutes on a wireless link a fatal problem that would require replacement or return of the equipment.
Also it should not interrupt video conferences etc. Probably there is something else going on, and you think packet loss is the cause only because you found these in your tests.
You write as an RMA :lol:

Tests and user feedback are evaluated. What I mentioned about MT 60Ghz is not accidental (so far all MT 60G products have been used). There are also their own success stories, unfortunately, they are too unique and with facilities located 50m away.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:57 pm

You write like "you sold me a bike that was promised to bring me to school but every 2 weeks it rains and I cannot go to school. and my homework is eaten by the dog and this is all caused by your bike".
Of course that is not a reason to return the bike. You need to research what is really going wrong, maybe some firewall issue, maybe some MTU issue, maybe something else I did not think about, but unlikely that it is the packet loss of one packet every few minutes that causes you problems.
IP was designed to deal with packet loss.

modsx
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:56 pm

You write like "you sold me a bike that was promised to bring me to school but every 2 weeks it rains and I cannot go to school. and my homework is eaten by the dog and this is all caused by your bike".
Of course that is not a reason to return the bike. You need to research what is really going wrong, maybe some firewall issue, maybe some MTU issue, maybe something else I did not think about, but unlikely that it is the packet loss of one packet every few minutes that causes you problems.
IP was designed to deal with packet loss.
I needed to tell your example to a buyer who came to buy other MikroTik equipment to replace the existing MikroTik equipment. Lol
Packet loss / drop every few minutes, this is just an example. It is not every few minutes in every case, in other cases it can be a 3 second break every 15 minutes.

We may simply have a different understanding of service quality.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Yes, I think we do. A 3-second break is still not fatal for normal internet usage, an application should be able to work around that.
Also you must consider that MikroTik 60GHz link equipment is the cheapest of the cheapest you can get.
When you have high requirements and expectations, it may not be the right choice for you!
There are other manufacturers that are more in the professional segment, but expect to pay much more, 3 times as much for prosumer (UBNT) and 10-25 times as much for professional stuff.