Community discussions

MikroTik App

Husky
just joined
Topic Author

Safe to use LHG 5 indoors?

Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:52 pm

Hi,

I have a temporary setup where I am using an LHG 5 in station-bridge mode to connect to a hAP ac2 in bridge mode to create a PTP bridge inside my house. The hAP ac2 and LHG 5 are less than 5 meters away from each other with a wall in-between. The LHG 5 is in my room where I sleep, inside my cupboard. The reason for this stupid and bad setup is because I have a server in my room cupboard that needs to be connected to the rest of the network, but no ethernet cables there yet (ethernet coming later).

The LHG 5 and hAP ac2 are using 5 GHz A/N, getting a 300 Mbps Tx/Rx rate and working fine.

I am just worried that the LHG 5 is very powerful since it has a high ~24 DBi antenna gain. Will it cause harm to me while I sleep in my room? My bed is right in the middle of the line of sight, and I am worried that I can get hurt from being in a high-power link from that LHG 5. Is it safe to use like this or should I replace it with a regular access point in station-bridge mode? I am using the LHG 5 because I had it lying around and the only other device I can use instead is a hAP lite which only works on 2.4 GHz and is very slow.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Safe to use LHG 5 indoors?

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:49 pm

I would recommend you reduce the Transmit power by at least 17dB
Not just for your Health, but to free up the frequency for the rest of your neighbourhood =)

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:52 pm

You can check the products quick guide, there you will find the Safety Information you need ...
https://mikrotik.com/product/RBLHG-5nD#fndtn-downloads

Husky
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:42 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses, they were quite helpful :)

I was having headaches in my room, and I found the issue. It wasn't this MikroTik dish at all, it was actually caused by the high-pitched whine coming from my UPS. Once I turned off the UPS, my headache went away and I felt much better. When I turned it on again, my head started to hurt and there was a sharp pain in my ears.

Lesson learned: do not assume that certain equipment is causing the problem, check everything, usually it is the stupidest or smallest random thing that is the problem.

Thanks for your help, now I know how to operate my radio equipment more responsibly. :)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:56 am

Maybe think abot such a flat cable: Image to pass itt through windows

ntsecrets
just joined

Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:23 am

Its non-ionizing radiation so the most it would do is make you a little warmer.... and at those levels unlikely you'd be able to measure a difference.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:53 pm

sure you can, but you must lower tx power, try lower vaules like 5db