Community discussions

MikroTik App

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

CAPsMAN on router's own wireless interfaces

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:24 am

I've got a hAP ac lite router in the lab into which is plugged a mAP lite. I've configured CAPsMAN on the router and all is working fine with the mAP lite.

Is it possible to configure the wireless interfaces on the router itself to configure themselves via CAPsMAN? I've enabled CAPsMAN on wlan1:

But then are never enabled/picked up by CAPsMAN. Configuration script attached. CAPsMAN is currently only configured for 2G so the 5G interface is disabled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Clément
just joined

Re: CAPsMAN on router's own wireless interfaces

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:11 am

Hi,
It is possible, for some needs I am using it too.

First, you do not need the discovery interface because you are not using hotspots anymore.
Second, you need to redirect the data from CAPsMAN to the router itself instead of the outside interfaces. The localhost then, 127.0.0.1.
This parameters must be set in CAPsMAN adresses.
You can keep the brigde at the end for every cap you seek to create.
At last, you must see your firewall filtrer rules, those data must be accepted by one in your router.
One is already setup by factory default if I am right and commented as named capsman local or something.
From my side I had to moved it to the second or third position to make it works.
If not, create a new one by chain forward, with the localhost adress source and action accept.

Your capsman setup should not need to be modified.

That's it and it should works properly, my last advice for your setup is to use certicates :)
Hope it help.

rushlife
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:21 am

yes,
try unselect discovery interface and bridge and just fill capsman addresses : 127.0.0.1

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:25 am

yes,
try unselect discovery interface and bridge and just fill capsman addresses : 127.0.0.1
Should be because that rule is in the default firewall settings.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:44 pm

I have problems with the Virtual APs not getting added to the bridge from time to time. So I tend not to use the Radio on the router for CAPS.

But if you need to use the radio for caps...
Your firewall could be the issue.
/ip firewall filter export

The other thing is I think I left certificate at request.

Discovery interface was where MY IP ADDRESS was assigned.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:34 pm

Thanks all - I did wonder if it was something to do with discovery. Will check later when I'm back in the lab.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:18 pm

Old thread but just adding a screenshot as I've just had to do this again. This is for a hAP ac lite so there are two wireless interfaces: