Community discussions

MikroTik App

mihailsvilenov
just joined
Topic Author

VPN Speed

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:52 am

Hello everybody,

I want to ask you about the bandwidth when using VPN. I'm using Mikrotik RB2011 like a central point at home. I have a NAS which I'm using like a cloud. For securing it I have a VPN server configured on the router. I tried every VPN protocol and always I have a slow speed through the VPN. I know this could be normal, because of the encryption and decryption, but it's too much. My WAN bandwidth is 50 mbps download and 30 mbps upload, but with VPN to other place with RB951 with the same or more bandwidth, the speed of 5 mbps max.

If this is normal, which protocol to use for faster speed or could I use VPN without encryption, only to make a connection to the router and NAS.

Thank you.
Mihail Svilenov

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN Speed

Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:40 pm

What VPN protocol do you use ? Additional encryption on top ?

Not scientifically 100% correct but here is a test of the most VPN protocols using Mikrotik:
https://rickfreyconsulting.com/mikrotik-vpns/

Depending on which protocol you use, you can be down to only 10% useable bandwidth.

Edit: the fastest and newest not in that list and available on Mikrotik is Wireguard. Current version 7.1rc4 as in development, not stable.
So proceed with care if you plan to use this on a production environment.

Edit2: depending on your device, HW handling of ipsec might speed things up significantly.
I believe RB2011 and RB951 are not able to do that (or this list is wrong: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... encryption)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN Speed

Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:09 pm

It is normal for those routers. They are 10 year old designs and have a processor without IPsec acceleration. The VPN speed is only 10-20 Mbps.
When you want fast VPN you need to buy a newer design router (not necessarily more expensive) that includes IPsec acceleration.
E.g. the hEX r3 (RB750 Gr3) is a cheap router with fantastic IPsec VPN performance.
You can find the specs under "test results" on the detail page for the router model on mikrotik.com. When there is no separate paragraph for IPsec speeds, it will be slow.