Community discussions

MikroTik App

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CAP ac / speed issue @ 5Ghz, cant get more than 80-90 mbps

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi all, I have a CAP ac device on my table that stubbornly declines to work fast on 5Ghz. 2.4 GHz is as it should, I get 70-90 mbps fine, but the issue is that it is the same on 5 Ghz, whatever I do.

The RoS is the latest stable, firmware upgraded. I set the AP up as a bare minimum, disabled 2.4 and tested the hell out of it. - My testing machines are one iMac, MacBook pro and an iPhone. They all have more or less identical results doing speed transfers.

I used SpeedTest application, on a 200 mbps link, and I have router modem on 5 Ghz built in which throughputs full link speed.

My CAP ac won't pass through more than about 80-90 mbps whatever I did to it. I changed frequencies, channel widths, and played with settings. I even turned on e Tx chain for testing and the speed was about the same. It is like something is stuck somewhere and I can't find it.

To make matters worse, I have established link speeds both on computer and MikroTik internally displaying high negotiated speeds, while crawling when testing. - I also did file-copy testing from fileserver and direct cable connectio to check link. - The AP is connected with 1 GBPS link to my 3011 testing router.

Here is the config I also sent to MikroTik and other images. (I tried myriad of settings, WMM enabled, rts cts enable, ANI enabled, you name it.)

I also asked all around and it is like this issue just happens to me? I did test another CAP ac today at work and it was the same. Transmit speeds are slow.
/interface bridge
add name=bridgeLocal
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode band=2ghz-onlyn basic-rates-a/g=12Mbps basic-rates-b="" country=croatia distance=indoors frequency=2472 \
installation=indoor mode=bridge rate-set=configured ssid=MikroTik supported-rates-a/g=12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps supported-rates-b="" wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-onlyac basic-rates-a/g=12Mbps,24Mbps channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce disabled=no distance=indoors installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge rate-set=\
configured ssid=MikroTik supported-rates-a/g=12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps wireless-protocol=802.11
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridgeLocal comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridgeLocal comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=all
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf disabled=no interface=bridgeLocal
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set www disabled=yes
set api disabled=yes
set api-ssl disabled=yes
/system identity
set name="AP"
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=none
Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 12.50.29.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 13.05.24.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 13.05.49.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: CAP ac / speed issue @ 5Ghz, cant get more than 80-90 mbps

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:29 pm

I am no Wireless expert... but I reviewed your config anyway =)

Following modification to the Config may help:

1. Wireless-Mode
Change Wireless-Interfaces Mode for wlan1 and wlan 2 from
mode=bridge to mode=ap-bridge

2. Add wlan1 and wlan2 to Bridge
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridgeLocal edge=yes interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridgeLocal edge=yes interface=wlan2
3. Bridge-Port "all"
I don't know if it makes a performance difference,
but i would remove following Config: add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=all

Try it,
If you need more performance after that,
We can tweek othe parameters like Channel Width, Security-Profile, etc..

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:49 pm

Thanks @ConnyMercier, I appreciate the comment.

I don't think any of those will make a difference, I just pasted one of the configs I was trying and had on hand.

I think I tested probably more than hundred variations to try and get speeds in line (I worked last 14 hours on this non-stop), but couldn't do it. In the end, I managed to get higher speeds when I used supplied power injector and then connecting it to my test 3011. - Apparently, CAP ac fed from 3011 PoE port can't achieve higher speed, regardless 1000 Mbps negotiated and confirmed.

Further on, I was able to achieve some 170-180 Mbps sustained (about 20-21 MBps in sustained file transfer from fast file server). The Q now are these speeds something to write home about, or they are abysmal as they seem to me? I honestly expected CAP ac to run circles around my ISP modem with WiFi, but it is the other way around. My IPS modem on 5 Ghz and 40 Mhz runs circles around MikroTik, while sitting in the closet on the other side of the room with other equipment (MT was on my table).

The measured speed was more or less constant, what annoyed me the most were modulation flip-flops. It just doesn't want to stay stable. If it would, the speed would be good.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:09 pm

I just did some quick Test in the Lab with my cAP ac...
-> Updated to Stable
-> Reset RouterOS
-> Simple Bridge + Simple wlan2 with 40MHz

I can't do any Internet Speed-Tests, only have 25 Mbits
AND I live in a densely populated neighborhood with a lot of "polution"
(~ 33 Access-Point in the 5GHz Band with a lot of 80MHz and 160 MHz-Wide-Networks)

But a simple File Tranfer from my NAS to my laptop revealed a stable tranfers of 285 mbits

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:31 pm

Yeah 285 is a good number for Capac at 5ghz.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi, I believe some things are mixed up in these screenshots.
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-onlyac basic-rates-a/g=12Mbps,24Mbps channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce disabled=no distance=indoors installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge rate-set=\
configured ssid=MikroTik supported-rates-a/g=12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps wireless-protocol=802.11
The config speaks about "20/40MHz-Ce" but the performance shot is about 80MHz and gives 866Mbps on 2S. What else is not as specified?
I see no freq set. This makes it completely unpredictable. How is interference avoided?
Rising basic rates will not help you here, but is OK
Rising supported rates is not wise. Anyway "ac" is using VHT rates not the 6-54Mbps or HT rates for data traffic.
Only fiddle with this when there is a clear need.
Did you set WMM?

On the registration table, OK, this the place to look for performance
780Mbps/866Mbps is excellent (MCS08 and MCS09 encoding), if it stays there.
The more important CCQ parameter is not selected for the table to display.
-37dBm is risky, as this is the received signal (and already too high) while the AP is stronger than a client device, that one will receive an even stronger signal and be saturated and have errors.
Errors means CCQ low, plus the interface rate drops lower, HW Frames >> Frames, what means retransmits (reduces the actual throughput). Keep some distance to lower the RX signal strength.
Noise -92 dBm. Quite noisy environment. Expected -102 till -112 dBm.
80MHz and certainly 160 MHz bandwidth is not wise in a dense environment. There are only 4 to 5 possible 80 MHz nonoverlapping channels, or just 2 for 160 MHz channels.
If you select "installation=indoor" ... there are only 2x80 MHz and 1x160 MHz. It is OK to use "installation=any" when located indoor.
CCQ does not show co-channel interference/congestion, because this is just waiting for airtime. There is no direct status info in MT for this while using the interface.

Select a clear channel based on "Scan", Snooper" and even "Freq Usage". Make sure to align with others if there is no free channel. (full overlap is much better than partial overlap)
And yes client devices sometimes prefer other vendors AP. (I think it has to do with the extra information in the beacons of other AP's, which also use a lower basic rate (6Mbps, even 1 Mbps)).
And "speedtest.net" is including the Internet connection/congestion in the test.