Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nitro
just joined
Topic Author

PoE disappointment

Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:29 am

Hi guys

Recently spent a small fortune on a PoE doorbell and installation, including running an Ethernet cable. It works great with the PoE injector it came with.

However, I really wanted to avoid using the injector if possible, so I looked at wireless routers that had PoE output. I did some research (I found out later, not enough) on this. It seemed there were no wireless routers with PoE out, except the MikroTik hAP ac3.

It got good reviews, and I was hoping the PoE would power my doorbell device. After all, the official YouTube video had a lovely young lady say this would "power other devices". I later found out that that essentially just means other MikroTik devices.

Anyway, turns out the PoE in the PoE output is not powerful enough to power any substantial devices.

I know a solution is to buy a selesrare PoE switch, but I'd just be swapping the power outlet used for the injector for the one used on the switch.

Does anyone know if MikroTik have plans in the future to implement the PoE standard on any future products?

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: PoE disappointment

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:20 pm

It isn't strange at all. It clearly says in the description "PoE out = Passive PoE". That means not 802.3at/af that your doorbell most likely requires. The device is then also powered by 12-28V so it can never deliver 48-58V that 802.3at/af mandates.

For example if you look at CRS112-8P-4S-IN, that supports both active 802.3at/af PoE and passive PoE. Depending on what powersupply is used.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:13 pm

What Doorbell-System did you buy?
Most Doorbell-System i know, only need a couple of Watt ( ~ 10 Watt max)
Mikrotik-Device with WIFI that can output 48-58V that 802.3at/af mandates
- cAP ac
- cAP XL ac
- RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN

Just for FUN..
Pasive PoE isn't just for Mikrotik devices...
I see them everyday in all sorts of application,
- Check-In / Check-Out Terminal ( Transponder, Magnetcard, Fingerprint) for Gym's , Parking-Garages etc..
- Industrial I/O-Boards, etc.
- Network-Camera
- Network-Equipment (like Unifi)
- Media-Converter (Video2IP and vice versa)
- PoS (Point of Sales) Solutions
- Or as a simple way to deliver power to a remote device via Network-Cables*
(*For exemple, you can use a simple PoE-Injector like the Digitus DN-95002 as a PoE-Splitter)

MickeyT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Pasive PoE isn't just for Mikrotik devices...
- Network-Equipment (like Unifi)
Unfortunately the latest UniFi equipment (like Switch Flex and Switch Lite) doesn't support Passive PoE. I've run in to this problem several times with clients wanting to use passive PoE equipment with the latest UniFi switches and not being able to. The older UniFi equipment still has passive PoE support but, if you can't get that from your supplier, you need to use a suitable power injector.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:01 pm

Thank you @MickeyT for the heads up!