Community discussions

MikroTik App

guthrie
just joined
Topic Author

Help - stuck on initial setup/install

Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:54 am

I used WinBox and connected to the new (RB760GS) board.
Following the initial banner instructions -
Changed the admin password.
Tried to do the Update, and got the typical DNS error.
From another thread here I tried setting a manual static address for the DNS to update, still failed.
viewtopic.php?t=160591
My local DNS and gateway addresses are right, and I also added the Google DNS - all failed.
I tried to go back to the DHCP IP address, but it is all blank.
Refresh does nothing.
I restarted WinBox - and it cannot connect. Gives the default 192.168.88.1 IP, and trying to instead change it to the fixed address I tried from the forum, or the previous DHCP address, all fail.
Tried with and without the new admin password - "Cannot connect".
Did a factory reset on the box. Now I can connect,
but it is not doing DHCP.
I thought a second reset may help (?), but then now again it cannot connect.
(The reset does blink the LED light, then one beep, and a few seconds later two beeps.)
So;somewhat frustrated and stuck.
How to recover, and what are the correct initial startup instructions for the Update?
(The reset does blink the LED light, then one beep, and a few seconds later two beeps.)
So many posts on that error - and many different suggestions - but none in the initial boot-up instructions.

PS: Trying this, doesn't work - LED never starts flashing.
Resetting the RouterOS configuration
Hold this button until LED light starts flashing, release the button to reset RouterOS configuration to default.

forenuser
just joined

Re: Help - stuck on initial setup/install

Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:21 pm

The RB760GS is your internet (WAN) router and your computer is directly connected (wired or wireless) to the router, right? If so, do you have any internet access at all?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:46 pm

Connect using Winbox using MAC address (requires direct connection to the device using Ethernet or Wifi)
Might be you first need to set it back to factory conditions: hold reset while power on, until the leds start blinking (5 seconds ?) then release.

Do you get an IP address from your ISP ?
Check /ip address, there should be an address on eth1 or bridge or ...

guthrie
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks for both responses;
I had done full-reset, and first time I could then reconnect, but when I saw DHCP not working reset again (multiple times) and could not reconnect. Let it sit overnight, and now (no changes) can connect (??). I had waited even 20-30 minutes last nite to try to reconnect after reset's and it was still failing - so I am not at all sure/understand why now it connects fine.

I have not yet set it up as primary router, just connected to it on E2 to look at setup and prep it.

I have it on a full working local network. 192.169.10.1/24,
but the startup quickset shows network 192.168.88.1/24.

I suppose the first thing I need to do is change its definition of local network so it can get DHCP and communicate on the LAN? Somewhat shy to change much now after it went offline last night!

Is there a standard basic setup process defined somewhere? The one I found online starts with "delete all of the standard setup and build you own - but given the complexity of the device I am reluctant to do that, and wanted to stay with a working default configuration at least to start.
( MikroTik Tutorial 1 - Getting Started Basic Configuration - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nK1LXyPMA )

My goal is that I will move my entire network off from my current ISP connection to a new ISP and use this as the router/firewall.

My end goal is to have as best possible protection (??), VPN in, and at least one local system NAT accessible for a public facing web server.
I have only general knowledge of this area, so for example am not sure if I should divide into multiple segments and only allow VPN into one, etc.
There are so many articles and advice around - some advise against any VPN, or DMZ,or even any firewall, and I did not find any seemingly simple IDS integrated with MikroTik.

I was hoping for some standard setup scripts or recipes. :-)
Thanks for the note(s) and response.

[Any idea why the other reset "hold reset in till LED flashes" didn't work - the LED never started flashing?]

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:10 pm

All you plan to do is possible using Mikrotik.

I admit, the learning curve is steep. MUCH steeper then any consumer grade equipment like TP-link or Netgear or ...
I am still learning quite a bit myself almost daily. Luckily I love to learn :lol:
But once you get to know it, you can do a TON more with a Mikrotik for a LOT less money !

First thing first:
Quickset is for exactly that, a quick first setup. Afterwards not to be used again for config changes.
What quickset are you trying to use ? There should be somewhere on the right top side an option to set address acquisition to statis or automatic (DHCP) and the option to set your device as router or bridge (router gives you the most options).

forenuser
just joined

Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:53 pm

I do not know the RB760GS but the general basic setup should be the same - i guess. For the first steps i would go to https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... Guide+G1-a

As i see it the RB760GS is connected to the router provided by your ISP? In that case go from any LAN port of the ISP router to LAN1 (ether1) of the RB760. Connect you computer with the RB760 using one of the other LAN ports. However before doing so you might check the DHCP lease Range of the ISP router as this must not be in the lease range of the RB760, as this will cause ip conflicts.

Might be usefull when you describe you current network setup (a diagramm perhaps) and paste the RB760 config. You can get this with the winbox terminal window command "export hide-sensitive file=filename.rsc" (no quotes). Then download the file from the file list - right click - download. It's a simpel textfile that can be opened with notepad or similar.

And yes, the learning curve on Microtiks is somewhat different from any consumer router i got so far. On the other hand, if you like to play and experiment this is the right play ground. Most satisfying when finding a working solution...

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:28 pm

...I admit, the learning curve is steep. MUCH steeper then any consumer grade equipment like TP-link or Netgear or ... I am still learning quite a bit myself almost daily. Luckily I love to learn :lol: But once you get to know it, you can do a TON more with a Mikrotik for a LOT less money ..

Agreed, but even "quickset" can be quite hard to grasp especially for the ordinary home user and cannot really be compared to other brands targeting home usages.

Secondly, in order to understand and setup changes in the firewall rules one has to study and understand the most basic packet flows: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Packet_Flow. A good starting point is studying the names of the "Packet Flow Chains" which is also used in WinBox.

On top of that, there are ambiguities in WinBox Gui that mix up the different flows in the same window. This entails a great risk that the first-time user becomes confused and may accidentally open holes in the firewall that the user is not aware of.

With that said, the different packet flows are actually quite simple once you understand the context of the documentation which in my opinion is poorly put together without any real good examples.

Bottom line, the documentation is the beginner's worst enemy.
Last edited by Larsa on Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guthrie
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Thanks for the response(s) and info.

I have done some router config before on Cisco system; long ago! So think I can manage to get ti done.

I just have the top of menu "Quick Set" open, and the default is Router & DHCP.
First time I did this (out of box) it had gotten DHCP - but not again.
Initial entry to Quickset: https://pasteboard.co/iiKCvhTZ1qT0.png
(Not sure why img insesrt is not working...)

After reset and entering QuickSet: http://pasteboard.co/iiKCvhTZ1qT0.png

I wanted to do some initial setup and checkout now before changing ISP - so I would not be isolated if there were any issues after the switch.

For example - the current DHCP gap (Why different that initial startup?), and the non-connect after resets from yesterday to today, etc.

Is this a reasonable approach?
Do I change the network IP and then see if it will DHCP?

forenuser
just joined

Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:46 pm

I am afraid that you linked the same image two times.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Check ip/dhcp/client
Did it get an IP address from your ISP on ether1 interface ?
And are you otherwise able to use the network behind your router from your PC (as in : internet available) ?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:54 pm

I am afraid that you linked the same image two times.
That's to make sure we do not see any difference :lol:

guthrie
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:04 pm

Oops, sorry;

Initial entry to Quickset: https://pasteboard.co/twPuf6HY5IcW.png
(Not sure why img insert is not working...)

After reset and entering QuickSet: https://pasteboard.co/HKVW70P8xmuu.png

I changed the IP info to match working system son LAN, and now I can ping to to anything from the router.
Localized setup: https://pasteboard.co/6gc4ryqyUPq7.png

Cannot ping to the router, and DNS from it (for update) does not work - cannot resolve anything, although the DNS servers are the correct addresses used locally. (???)

My plan I think is to consider my local LAN as the substitute for a new ISP on port E1, and then hook a local system to the router on E2 for setup testing to that new subnet. Sound reasonable? (???)

guthrie
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:06 pm

I think that since I only have it connected on E2 port, and set for router (default), it won't DHCP in that setup?
https://pasteboard.co/kry2cWhZh862.png

(Why does image insert not work?? Same URL works fine as link.)