Community discussions

MikroTik App

YordanY1
Topic Author

Log when a specific MAC connect ?

Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Hello.

I have a list of MAC addresses which I would like to log when they connect to WAN from Internet.
Is this possible, and how ?

Thank You in advance.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Log when a specific MAC connect ?

Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:47 pm

My take:
Depends on the size of your list.
Firewall raw rule, prerouting, and then 1 rule per src MAC address with action log.
Not sure you can use a list for MAC addresses ... but this creation process can be made easier a bit with some smart scripting.

Isn't it more logical to log simply all connections from WAN (should be done anyhow for monitoring, I think ?) and then only filter out those MAC addresses you specifically need for your purpose ?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:11 pm

If the connections are to your WAN from the Internet MAC addresses will not available.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:31 pm

If the connections are to your WAN from the Internet MAC addresses will not available.
Damn, didn't know that.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:57 pm

Damn, didn't know that.
Oh not to worry, there will be far too many opportunities to re-live that reality. :-)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Damn, didn't know that.
Oh not to worry, there will be far too many opportunities to re-live that reality. :-)
:lol:

YordanY1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 pm

O.. well.. So it is not possible ? :'(
Pity.
Actually I maybe made the question too general.
The situation is as follow :
- I have a Dahua NVR, and when someone connect to it - I need to log it's MAC address, and if the MAC is not in a specific list - to deny access.
( if this give a better options )

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:50 pm

MAC addresses are only relevant within an ethernet / layer-2 network, once the IP contents a router and forwarded elsewhere the originating MAC address is no longer known.

Within any individual router the MAC-to-IP mappings are known for the locally-attached ethernet networks, if you wish to control access to your NVR from devices on a local network you can use MAC source addresses, but not for remote devices as the information is just not available.

Using MAC addresses for authorisation is generally a bad idea - they are easily spoofed allowing other to impersonate a 'trusted' device, and more recently Android & iOS have introduced random fake MAC addresses when you connect to a WiFi network to prevent your MAC address from being tracked.

The correct way of setting up limited remote access would be to create a VPN server on your Mikrotik, and provide credentials and/or certificates to remote users.

YordanY1
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 am

:|
Now as You wrote this and I did a research on it, seems like You are right on this.
Thank You guys !