Community discussions

MikroTik App

etnica
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN on CCR2004-16G-2S+

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:59 pm

Hello,
so just purchased a CCR2004-16G-2S+ router but I am abit confused in what way to setup the VLANS by reading the docs(first time using routeros).

One SFP+ port will be used as WAN port and the 2nd SFP+ port will go to my switch with vlan's, however i want the VLAN's on the CCR2004-16G-2S+ ethernet ports aswell.

The switch chips seems to support hardware offloading(atleast some of the docs says it), but most of my traffic will go through the sfp+ port anyway which is connected directly to the cpu.

Should i create a bridge with all ports except the WAN port or which type of vlan setup is recommended to use in this scenario?
What I care most about is throughput between the sfp+ ports. Should I just skip using the ethernet ports?

Seems most docs talk about when configuring ports on a single switch chip.

Thanks

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN on CCR2004-16G-2S+

Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Should i create a bridge with all ports except the WAN port
Yes.

What I care most about is throughput between the sfp+ ports. Should I just skip using the ethernet ports?
Official test results indicate that the device is capable of bridging at around 20Gbps (give or take, depending on exact traffic mix). Beware that CPU capacity, needed to bridge between SFP+ and RJ ports, will reduce (simultaneous) routing capacity. If you expect large throughputs between that combination of ports, then you should use a proper ethernet switch, CCR is a router after all.