Community discussions

MikroTik App

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Connecting FSP 150-GE102Pro to RouterBoard 4011iGS

Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Calling out for assistance from UK Mikrotik users. A client has just had a BT business fibre connection installed (by OpenReach) in their building on the "wires only" service which terminates at a ADVA FSP 150-GE102Pro. I need to connect this via SFP to the 4011iGS directly above it:

This is the fibre port on the ADVA in close-up:

Never really worked with fibre but I think I need a short fibre cable and an article I found suggested I needed a SingleMode LC SFP transceiver.

Does this sound right? I think you can use SFP in SFP+ but not the other way around.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Connecting FSP 150-GE102Pro to RouterBoard 4011iGS

Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:33 pm

What you see in port #3 of ADVA is a SFP module. What kind of optical patch cable you need and what kind of SFP module for RB4011 depends on what kind of SFP is in ADVA right now. Pull it out and read the label (post the picture of it if you can't make the meaning yourself).

Yes, you should get a SFP (without +) module for RB4011, it will maximize the chance of getting the link to work.

A side question: why not use RJ45 connection between ADVA and RB? Port 3 on ADVA seems to be a combo port so just plug out the SFP module and RJ45 port should get alive.

mbovenka

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:31 pm

Never really worked with fibre but I think I need a short fibre cable and an article I found suggested I needed a SingleMode LC SFP transceiver.

Does this sound right? I think you can use SFP in SFP+ but not the other way around.

Looking at the color of the SFP clasp (black), it's probably multimode; single mode SFPs tend to have a blue clasp. But like Metod says, pull it out and look to be sure, because not every manufacturer follows that (although it was that way for most SFPs I've come across). Or, again like Metod says, use the UTP port instead. That might Just Work when you pull out the SFP and connect the UTP port, or BT may have to tell the box to use it.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 pm

>What you see in port #3 of ADVA is a SFP module. What kind of optical patch cable you need and what kind of SFP module for RB4011 depends on what kind of SFP is in ADVA right now. Pull it out and read the label (post the picture of it if you can't make the meaning yourself).

See, I knew it was worth me asking! Didn't even think to start pulling at it...

>Yes, you should get a SFP (without +) module for RB4011, it will maximize the chance of getting the link to work.

Thanks...

>A side question: why not use RJ45 connection between ADVA and RB? Port 3 on ADVA seems to be a combo port so just plug out the SFP module and RJ45 port should get alive.

A good question but the BT engineer I spoke to didn't offer that as a option. Esp. as whilst it's a 1G fibre link, the client has only licensed 300Mbps.

Thanks again for the rapid reply.

mbovenka

Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:26 pm

A good question but the BT engineer I spoke to didn't offer that as a option. Esp. as whilst it's a 1G fibre link, the client has only licensed 300Mbps.

Makes no difference technically. It's probably just a question of "you didn't order it terminated on copper, so you get fiber".

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:17 pm

Very probably as I didn't order it :-)

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:55 pm

The access port on the FSP150 is a combo port, so I would try to just use a straight RJ45 to the Mikrotik. Maybe pop-out the SFP also.

If the FSP150 is somehow configured to only use the SFP-port, then check the type of module used, and buy a matching one. I'm also sure that the owner of the FSP150 can change the media type if needed.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:06 am

Thanks all for your help - pulling the SFP transceiver out of the ADVA revealed it was an LC multimode transceiver so a quick Amazon purchase saw it connected up last night and made live this morning. At first I think we needed yet another router in there but kudos of the BT engineer I spoke to who explained what set-up they normally expect (to handle multiple static IP addresses to different servers) and not a single WAN port on a router/switch. Fortunately, he could reconfigure their end to allow a single WAN (IP/subnet/GW) so all is well. He was very patient with me :-)

Not such brownie points to BT for not really sending out any kind of documentation about what a "wires only" set-up expects to be connected to. That would have saved a bit of tension over this install.

Next task is to migrate the connections from the old Draytek router which at the moment is simply daisy chained through the 4011iGS but for now, it's working.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:47 pm

BT have a reputation for not providing information, possibly being miffed that you aren't shelling out their managed service. There are a couple of ways to provide multiple IPs - either a /30 or /31 point-to-point link over the fibre with one or more subnets routed to the customer end of the link, or just having a subnet made available over the fibre with the gateway IP at their end which is less flexible.

Whilst you order a service from BT Business, they in turn order parts of the service from other businesses in the BT group - Openreach for the physical fibre and NTE, BT Wholesale for the backhaul from the exchange end of your fibre to their datacentre.

The presentation Openreach provide on the NTE depends on what is ordered, historically you could only have 1000BASE-LX or 1000BASE-SX optical for gigabit handover, or 100BASE-TX copper for 100Mbps. More recently they added 1000BASE-T as an option for gigabit, all the details are in https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/co ... r_2020.pdf. AFAIK the presentation has to be specified when ordered, it cannot be changed once the service is active.