Community discussions

MikroTik App

Abdisirat
just joined
Topic Author

Setting up VLANS on one Unifi AP

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 am

I have a Mikrotik951Ui and would like to configure two VLANS to be broadcasted on ONE Unifi AP.
On the Mikrotik, Ether1 is dedicated for WAN through DHCP.
I have created two VLANS 10 and 20 with their respective IPs and DHCP server. Both VLANS are on ether2 as Trunk Port. I have created a bridge on the Mikrotik and added port 2 to the Bridge. NAT is also configured.
On the Unifi Settings-Network menu, I created two Networks for VLANS 10 and 20. On the Wireless Network Tab, I created two wireless networks and linked them to VLANS 10 and 20 Network.
My problem is that as soon as I connect the Unifi on the trunk port of the Mikrotik, the SSIDs would not broadcast. The Unifi AP also gets disconnected on the Controller with this setup and does not show up.
When I reset the RB951 and just configure it without VLANS (flat network), the Unifi would adopt and work. What am missing in the configs? Anyone who could just help get the configs right. Thanks for help..

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Setting up VLANS on one Unifi AP

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:26 pm

new terminal
/interface
export

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

Which subnet is your management vlan on? It could be the home LAN for example, meaning what is your trusted subnet?
The Unifi should be getting a LANIP on this subnet.

Therefore there are two ways to proceed.
(1) Assuming UNIFI is like any other smart device (trunk port from router to unifi) carrying all data vlans and management vlan in trunk).
(2) Assuming UNIFI is not standard and requires the (hybrid port from router to unifi) managment vlan to come in untagged and data vlans tagged.

prawira
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:59 am

what of the ros version used ?
from the explanation, you should move both vlans from ether2 into bridge, does it.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:02 pm

There should be a network on default VLAN. So the UniF--k wap gets and IP from the default.

The VLANs should be on the bridge.

Abdisirat
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm

what of the ros version used ?
from the explanation, you should move both vlans from ether2 into bridge, does it.
The router version is 6.48.3.

I will give a try and see.

Abdisirat
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 pm

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

Which subnet is your management vlan on? It could be the home LAN for example, meaning what is your trusted subnet?
The Unifi should be getting a LANIP on this subnet.

Therefore there are two ways to proceed.
(1) Assuming UNIFI is like any other smart device (trunk port from router to unifi) carrying all data vlans and management vlan in trunk).
(2) Assuming UNIFI is not standard and requires the (hybrid port from router to unifi) managment vlan to come in untagged and data vlans tagged.
I had not setup the Management VLAN. Let me add the mgmt VLAN and proceed with option 1. Will revert.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:04 pm

By default the UniFi controller uses the UniFi predefined "LAN" network untagged for management. You can configure UniFi devices to use a different management network but this makes provisioning from a factory reset more difficult - the UniFi device will first have to acquire an IP address untagged, discover the controller, be provisioned, then acquire a different address on the configured management VLAN.

Sticking with hybrid (untagged management network, tagged data networks) is much simpler.