Community discussions

MikroTik App

Vskz0
just joined
Topic Author

VPN inside Mikrotik and redirect only on LAN

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:17 pm

Hello,

i'm interested to know if its possible to make a configuration inside my personal mikrotik at home :
I have a small Mikrotik at home which i'm using both interfaces, LAN and WIFI.

because i'm using a TV box which it doesn't work on our public ip.. i want to know if its possible to connect any VPN IP/user/pass to change my ip address on output ONLY FOR LAN PORTS? but in wifi still to be my real ip address.

Thanks.
Best regards.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN inside Mikrotik and redirect only on LAN

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:41 pm

What you ask makes no sense because you are mixing up both user requirements and config solutions in the same sentences.

Please state clearly what you would like your users or devices to accomplish without mentioning the router or the configuration.

What it sounds like your saying is that you would like to setup some sort of VPN,
not to another persons router but to a VPN service.

You want your TV box connected to the internet over a VPN tunnel and not through YOUR public unencrypted ISP connection.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Very possible, but depends on which VPN service you are attempting to connect to.
I recommend using Wireguard as the type of VPN and that so far is only available on V7.1 beta RC4 software.

Vskz0
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:33 pm

What you ask makes no sense because you are mixing up both user requirements and config solutions in the same sentences.

Please state clearly what you would like your users or devices to accomplish without mentioning the router or the configuration.

What it sounds like your saying is that you would like to setup some sort of VPN,
not to another persons router but to a VPN service.

You want your TV box connected to the internet over a VPN tunnel and not through YOUR public unencrypted ISP connection.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Very possible, but depends on which VPN service you are attempting to connect to.
I recommend using Wireguard as the type of VPN and that so far is only available on V7.1 beta RC4 software.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

To make it more simple,

I have a mikrotik at work which it have diff public ip, there i can create VPN Through p2tp etc..

Same vpn i can connect at mikrotik at home but it doesnt change public ip address..

So my question is how to draw the traffic over vpn? And if its possible to make it more specified to draw the VPN traffic (from source) to my mikrotik only on lan ports?

Not on wifi, because i dont want to make whole network slower

Thanks.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:11 pm

So basically you want to create a Mikrotik Router to Mikrotik Router VPN connection so that your home LAN users (some of them) can use the internet provided by the WORK IP.

I am curious, how come the TV box doesnt work on the HOME ISP? What makes you think it will work on the WORK ISP?

Do you manage the work Router?
What are the rules reference using it for non-work related activities.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I do that now through 7.1 beta RC4 software using wireguard.
I have some relatives that VPN to my router and go out my ISP.

What I recommend is that you get another MikrotiK router and stick it behind the wOrk MT router so you dont mess with that firmware, assuming you have permissions,
and then wireguard tunnel into the second router and out the internet. Works well for me and is easy easy.

Vskz0
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:20 pm

So basically you want to create a Mikrotik Router to Mikrotik Router VPN connection so that your home LAN users (some of them) can use the internet provided by the WORK IP.

I am curious, how come the TV box doesnt work on the HOME ISP? What makes you think it will work on the WORK ISP?

Do you manage the work Router?
What are the rules reference using it for non-work related activities.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I do that now through 7.1 beta RC4 software using wireguard.
I have some relatives that VPN to my router and go out my ISP.

What I recommend is that you get another MikrotiK router and stick it behind the wOrk MT router so you dont mess with that firmware, assuming you have permissions,
and then wireguard tunnel into the second router and out the internet. Works well for me and is easy easy.
Yes correct

I have full previledges of both routers at work and at home.

Can u explain me what should i do at home router to draw all traffic or only LAN ports through "VPN-client"?

Thanks.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:57 pm

Not really too many depends........
You have to decide which VPN you will use.

Vskz0
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:04 am

Not really too many depends........
You have to decide which VPN you will use.
Hi, i'm not sure what exactly u are using about, but in mikrotik at work i have setup P2TP connections which it works properly and i can connect from my home with public ip / user and password of it.

so..?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Sorry not familiar with P2TP?

Vskz0
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:38 am

Sorry not familiar with P2TP?
with which one r u familiar? let me setup on the server side.. then i will try to the home (client side).

Thanks.