CCR-1016-12S-1S+ failing to boot.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:04 am

I have an CCR-1016 and this is what scrolls across the console:
RouterBOOT booter 6.49

CCR1016-12S-1S+

CPU frequency: 1200 MHz
  Memory size: 2048 MiB
    NAND size: 128 MiB

Press any key within 2 seconds to enter setup..

loading kernel... OK
setting up elf image... not an elf header
kernel loading failed
trying bootp protocol.............................................................................................................................................................d
kernel loading failed
The event immediately preceding this was an upgrade via Winbox. The router appeared to come back up ok but power got shut off at the facility a few hours later and this router never came back up.

I can not get SFP12 to go into link, it doesn't appear that I can NetInstall going. I've tried multiple DAC cables and SFP modules, SFP12 will not link.

I've read that it's possible to upgrade firmware via xmodem, would this make my router more bootable? Ref: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/RouterBO ... er_upgrade

Where do I get firmware to upgrade with router with, the link just referred back to Mikrotik's main site.

Thanks.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CCR-1016-12S-1S+ failing to boot.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:29 am

A couple of slightly educated guesses.
Firmware corrupted (upgrade did not go quite right???)
According to the Netinstall manual, you should normally be using port 1 unless some other port is specifically labeled for "boot"
Good bet that your computer is not using a SFP with DAC, but rather a "dumb" Ethernet port. You said you tried several DAC cables. Try a dumb Ethernet cable into a dumb SFP.
Netinstall has a reputation of being picky, with MANY reports of needing to try it several times. I have only used it once and it worked the first time - for whatever that's worth.
Follow the Netinstall directions exactly as given.
Where else would you get the RouterOS firmware other than the Mikrotik site? NOWHERE!!!!!!

I make no guarantee that any of these will help.

mdella
just joined

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:19 am

Literally just a few minutes ago I had the exact same thing happen. Since I have an SPF+ in the first slot, how exactly am I supposed to set this up for a net boot over the bootp protocol?
Also, why did my CCR1016-12S-1S+ brick the same day as someone elses with the exact same issue?

bdk
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:58 am

I initially had issues with the Win10 firewalls which is is now all sorted out, Netinstall appears to be functioning normally.

The Netinstall port of the CCR1016 is SFP12, the last port.

Currently using an ChampONE copper SFP in SFP12 of the CCR1016, the other end directly connected to a Win10 host.

I can get Netinstall work just fine with RB4011 to the point I can push a new OS to the RB4011.

The link that I spoke of was on the Mirkotik wiki that had an old link back to routerboard.com, it has never been updated and just defaults to the main Mikrotik page. I can find the main NPKs, etc... but other files are needed when uploading via serial xmodem. The question is, where are those files? Are they even available anymore. I'll probably end up opening a ticket on that.

When using Netinstall on the CCR-1016, I can tell that the CCR is making the initial connection to the PXE service, downloading the microcode and now I'm sitting at this:
Welcome to MikroTik Router Software remote installation 6.49
Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to abort

mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:6B
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:6F
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:74
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:6A
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:6E
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:73
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:69
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:6D
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:72
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:71
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:68
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:6C
mac-address: 64:D1:54:F3:B4:70

software-id: CKT6-216H key:
syBCHN7heLMor9y+ZjLj87oM3pgdGDtiHniWnFPDe3yxiu1QjNQ22WvnjfiFMFLAPu1VHzPxHoA0tKop/SmWBA==

Waiting for installation server...
The CCR1016 does not appear in Netinstall as a discovered Router after downloading it's microcode via TFTP, but my other RB4011 does show up in Netinstall. I've upgraded other systems in the past using Netinstall, all routers have shown up in the past in Netinstall. I don't have a spare CCR1016 to test if I have a broken router OR if it's an fault of Netinstall.

I've tried both 6.49 and 7.1rc4 versions of Netinstall.

The CCR1016 appears to stop communicating with the Netinstall Win10 host after the downloaded code runs. With the RB4011, there is a continuous keep alive that happens per Wireshark. In so much that I can quit Netinstall, reopen it and within a second it knows of the attached RB4011, is waiting for instructions. When I plug in the CCR1016, there is no communication after the microcode loads. In fact, the Ethernet port of the Win10 host appears to be down "cable unplugged" after the microcode loads.

Do I truly have a bricked CCR1016?

bdk
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:25 pm

Literally just a few minutes ago I had the exact same thing happen. Since I have an SPF+ in the first slot, how exactly am I supposed to set this up for a net boot over the bootp protocol?
Also, why did my CCR1016-12S-1S+ brick the same day as someone elses with the exact same issue?
My solution to get into Netinstall mode was to boot the CCR1016 without ANY modules installed. Eventually I got this via the console:
RouterBOOT booter 6.49

CCR1016-12S-1S+

CPU frequency: 1200 MHz
  Memory size: 2048 MiB
    NAND size: 128 MiB

Press any key within 2 seconds to enter setup..

loading kernel... OK
setting up elf image... not an elf header
kernel loading failed
Please, check ethernet cable...
Using an SFP module, in my case it's a ChampOne 1000SFPT copper SFP, attach the Ethernet cable into the module and insert it into SFP12. Your console should recognize that the module is inserted and the bootp process will start up.

The CCR would never bring up the network on SFP12 *IF* I have the module installed PRIOR to boot. Apply power and attach serial, wait for the CCR to tell you to check the Ethernet cable, then insert the module and attach your physical media.

If SFP12 module is present on power up, just remove it and wait for the 'check ethernet cable' message and then insert the module into SFP12, the bootp process will start successfully.

SFP-SFPPLUS port appears to become active after the kernel microcode gets downloaded and starts up. When applying the same Ethernet cable from SFP12 to SFP-SFPPLUS, it doesn't appear to try to make contact with Netinstall software.

We are suspecting that the router became corrupt on the second boot for the RouterBoard upgrade.