Community discussions

MikroTik App

supadupa
just joined
Topic Author

Route WAN network to VLAN

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Please excuse my noob question:

I want to expose a specific device on my Mikrotik router network to the outside network.

My Mikrotik Router sits behind an ISP provided router (Fritz!Box). Due to my physical network topology I would like to make one specific VLAN an extension of the network of my ISP router (192.168.178.0/24) including DHCP etc.

How would you approach this?

Thanks!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Route WAN network to VLAN

Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:35 pm

Ether1 should become access port of common bridge (with PVID=100 set). Port towards switch should be hybrid (untagged for LAN and tagged for VID 100). You need vlan interface with VLAN ID 100 anchored to bridge. Then you have to move WAN setup (DHCP client or static IP address or whatever) from ether1 to VLAN interface, also add VLAN interface to WAN interface list. Enable vlan-filtering on bridge.
Then configure switch appropriately.

supadupa
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:15 am

Thanks - will give it a go!
Ether1 should become access port of common bridge (with PVID=100 set). Port towards switch should be hybrid (untagged for LAN and tagged for VID 100). You need vlan interface with VLAN ID 100 anchored to bridge. Then you have to move WAN setup (DHCP client or static IP address or whatever) from ether1 to VLAN interface, also add VLAN interface to WAN interface list. Enable vlan-filtering on bridge.
Then configure switch appropriately.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:45 am

The ISP is giving you multiple WANIPs??
Oh I get it, the fritz box only has so many ports and thus the physical limitation.
It really doesnt matter how many DHCP addresses it gives out probably 2-256 available etc..........

In that case disagree with MKX.
Yes VLAN100 should be untagged on ether1 for vlan100 but the ether X to the switch should be a trunk port carrying vlan11 your LAN network and vlan100 the fritz lan.
That way the bridge is just bridging and not directly involved with subnets. Smart switches setup is simplifed.
Vlan100 goes untagged to device2 and vlan11 goes untagged to all lan connected devices.
and vlan 11 gets the IP address, the dhcp-server and dhcp-server network etc.......

You guessed, I dont like bridges involved in more than just bridging. Just a pet phobia of mine like I despise capsman, and mangling.
viewtopic.php?t=143620