Community discussions

MikroTik App

badwolf4561
just joined
Topic Author

RB4011 Wirelesss

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Hi

Looking to replace a failing HAP AC, have my eye on the RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN. I am aware this unit had speed issues with WiFi in the past. Is that still the case or has it improved over the years?
Advice appreciated.

Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB4011 Wirelesss

Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:36 am

Advice freely given, get RB4011 wired only or the newer RB5009.
Plan wifi separately, if you were looking for an alternative that works out of the box and handles vlans, TPLINK EAP245.
Do some research on the Mikrotik Audience access point, it may be of interest.
I also have the TPLINK 660HD and it is like the eap245 in LOS connectivity but reallly shines through multiple walls.

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:48 pm

I've trialed the TPLink EAP620 and it's actually surprisingly really good with fantastic range. Only thing is it's physically enormous and quite off-putting. But I have to say I think I prefer its performance over a Cambium XV2 (if you don't need any of the fancy features and management). And in an office environment if it has a false ceiling I just throw it inside instead of mounting it so it's invisible lol (still performs fantastic)

My experience is mikrotik is now the 'just barely good enough' wifi and practically anything else that's newish on the market is going to perform far better
I wouldn't buy the Audience unless the only thing you care about is outright range and don't care about how good it bad it performs. It really isn't even close to being worth the price

Even if I'm not paying from my pocket I'll still put in a cheap TPLink or ASUS device over anything mikrotik if I care about performance. Cambium or Ubiquiti are generally better as a 'business' device. Ruckus is probably the best but you pay through the nose and in most cases isn't justified

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:40 pm

Concur, the EAP245 form factor is good, the 660HD is ginormous and butt ugly but I have it high up out of view.
I would assume the eap245/620/660 perform reasonably similarly within LOS with a single device.
THe eap 660HD blows the eap245 away when going through walls (the biggest difference I noted from wifi5 to wifi6).
Dont have the capacity to test multi-user load comparisons but that is where I would assume the 620 660HD also shine.
I am disappointed that tplink is not putting out new firmwares yet for the 660HD as its not a fully exploited capability yet and not all options I would like to see are available in settings.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:29 pm

I have had an Audience for over a year at this point. It's spent most of it's time back in the box.

The wifi from it in RouterOS6 is crap.

Now that wifi WAVE 2 drivers are there... It's "less terrible"
But roughly equal to a mid range WAP from 2016.