Community discussions

MikroTik App

ITmedigateio
just joined
Topic Author

Recording changes to the config to a log

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:43 pm

Hello,
I am still trying to figure out the mess of a router I inherited, but now I want to do this in a more controlled and collected way.
I was searching online for something like this but came up empty-handed.

What I Want:
Whenever there's a change in the config of the router, save the time date and the config that was changed along with the previous value.

This will be a great tool to see which changes broke something and revert them, instead of breaking and reverting the whole config every time.

So do any of you know of a way to do this?
Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Recording changes to the config to a log

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:24 pm

If its a mess make a backup file and export the config.
Then reset to defaults and slowly put the required settings back in minus any extra not essential.
THe exported config can be printed or up on a second monitor for reference purposes, but suggesting dont copy and paste,
understand the purpose of each rule/setting.

Finally, if you know the requirements-use cases of users and devices then that will guide the setup. Focus less on teh old config and more on the requirements as understood.

elbob2002
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:25 pm

System --> History in Winbox.

Not sure how long the history there lasts though.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:46 pm

And Safe mode.
If some setting causes things to break, it will be noticeable rather fast (usually at the same time as the "Oops"-moment).

Safe mode will then revert things back on its own.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:03 pm

System --> History in Winbox.
Unfortunately that does not give any real detail.

ITmedigateio
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:08 am

If its a mess make a backup file and export the config.
Then reset to defaults and slowly put the required settings back in minus any extra not essential.
THe exported config can be printed or up on a second monitor for reference purposes, but suggesting dont copy and paste,
understand the purpose of each rule/setting.

Finally, if you know the requirements-use cases of users and devices then that will guide the setup. Focus less on teh old config and more on the requirements as understood.
Well as much as I appreciate your feedback, it is seriously not feasible, as that would mean a downtime of a couple of days to go with this approach. The 2 hours downtime I had before were more than enough to get people on edge.

So there's no way to actually log any changes in the router's config? I mean, that kind of thing could save a company from experiencing the same thing that happened to Facebook. If they had an automatic log it would not have taken them that long to bring services up as diagnosing the problem would have been a breeze.