Community discussions

MikroTik App

janCZ11
just joined
Topic Author

mAP lite speed issues

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm

Hello. I have bought mAP lite but its performance seems too poor.

The AP is provisioned from a RB750Gr3, 4 different SSID (4 VLANs), powered by Cisco active PoE switch.

- if I move it 5 cm from the mAP lite, I get -30 dBm signal which is excellent.
- if I move it 1.5 m from the mAP lite (still in the same room), I get -65 dBm signal, which is still good but quite a drop
- if I move to a room separated by brick wall, keeping door open, with the mAP lite right behind the wall, signal goes down to -85 dBm with poor speed (<5Mbps) and phone connecting to LTE instead.

Looking at frequency usage, I don't see interference as a problem but I did try channels 1, 6 and 11 without much difference. Therefore I wonder: is mAP lite performance really meant just for close range? Even 1 wall can degrade the signal so much?
I tried TPLink old Wifi router which covered the whole floor, even passing 2 brick walls with the phone still getting full internet speed (50 Mbps).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: mAP lite speed issues

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:03 pm

There shouldn't be such a degradation in signal strength if you have default wireless settings. Can you export your wireless settings with hide-sensitive=yes here?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:28 pm

As requested, please post config.

I have a mAP lite lying as test on my desk and can get 50Mb without issues next to it.
Even 2 THICK walls and 8m further, I still get over 10Mb.

Keep in mind though, these things are effectively intended for close range use.

janCZ11
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:43 pm

What is strange is that even with 7ms ping to the internet anywhere where I get any signal and reported 130/144Mbps client connection, I only get 10-30 Mbps real speed for download and 5-8 Mbps upload. The signal is worse on the same floor than is the floor above/below. Like if the signal has no issue passing through the floor but the wall is a problem. I added a second mAP lite and the funny thing is that clients on the 1st floor connect to the AP on the 2nd floor and vice versa, unless the client is in the same room and within 4 meters from the AP. I tried changing channels, which only decreased signal between floors but didn't improve it within the same floor.
I know that I could buy 3-4 mAP for each room on a floor for the price of one Unifi AP which I used until now but there aren't that many Wifi channels to cover 2 floors (6-7 mAPs) without channel overlapping. Perhaps someone can recommend a better mikrotik AP (2.4Ghz, 802.3af PoE) on the same performance level like my old Unifi AP AC LR?
 # oct/28/2021 16:40:58 by RouterOS 6.49
# software id = 59DG-MC11
#
# model = RouterBOARD 750G r3
# serial number = 8AFF080A2C4E
/caps-man channel         
add band=2ghz-b/g/n control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=disabled \
    frequency=2437 name=channel6
    frequency=2462 name=channel11
    frequency=2412 name=channel1
    frequency=2457 name=channel10
/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm name=security_private
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm name=security_public
/caps-man access-list
add action=reject allow-signal-out-of-range=5s disabled=yes signal-range=\
    -120..-83 ssid-regexp=""
add action=accept allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=yes signal-range=\
    -82..120 ssid-regexp=""
/caps-man configuration
add datapath=datapath_92 datapath.local-forwarding=yes datapath.vlan-id=92 \
    datapath.vlan-mode=use-tag mode=ap name=CAP_WIFI_92 security=\
    security_private ssid=italy
add datapath=datapath_100 datapath.local-forwarding=yes datapath.vlan-id=100 \
    datapath.vlan-mode=use-tag mode=ap name=CAP_WIFI_100 security=\
    security_public ssid=inet
add country="united states" datapath=datapath1 mode=ap name=CAP_WIFI_1 \
    security=security_private ssid=ap
add datapath=datapath_77 mode=ap name=CAP_WIFI_77 security=security_private \
    ssid=ent
add datapath=datapath_77 name=CAP_WIFI_77N security=security_private ssid=\
    ent/n
/caps-man datapath
add bridge=bridge client-to-client-forwarding=no local-forwarding=yes name=\
    datapath_92 vlan-id=92 vlan-mode=use-tag
add bridge=bridge-100 client-to-client-forwarding=no local-forwarding=yes \
    name=datapath_100 vlan-id=100 vlan-mode=use-tag
add bridge=bridge client-to-client-forwarding=no local-forwarding=yes name=\
    datapath1
add bridge=bridge-77 local-forwarding=yes name=datapath_77 vlan-id=77 \
    vlan-mode=use-tag
/caps-man interface
add configuration=CAP_WIFI_77 disabled=no l2mtu=1600 mac-address=\
    DE:2C:6E:1C:3A:E5 master-interface="cap1(D)-AP" name="cap1(D)-77" \
    radio-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 radio-name=DE2C6E1C3AE5
add configuration=CAP_WIFI_92 disabled=no l2mtu=1600 mac-address=\
    DE:2C:6E:1C:3A:E6 master-interface="cap1(D)-AP" name="cap1(D)-92" \
    radio-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 radio-name=DE2C6E1C3AE6
add configuration=CAP_WIFI_100 disabled=no l2mtu=1600 mac-address=\
    DE:2C:6E:1C:3A:E7 master-interface="cap1(D)-AP" name="cap1(D)-100" \
    radio-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 radio-name=DE2C6E1C3AE7
add channel=channel1 channel.band=2ghz-g/n channel.control-channel-width=\
    20mhz configuration=CAP_WIFI_1 disabled=no l2mtu=1600 mac-address=\
    DC:2C:6E:1C:3A:E5 master-interface=none name="cap1(D)-AP" radio-mac=\
    DC:2C:6E:1C:3A:E5 radio-name=DC2C6E1C3AE5
/caps-man manager
set ca-certificate=auto certificate=auto enabled=yes
/caps-man manager interface
add disabled=no interface=bridge
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=CAP_WIFI_1 \
    name-format=identity slave-configurations=\
    CAP_WIFI_77,CAP_WIFI_92,CAP_WIFI_100

janCZ11
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:59 pm

I just found out what's the thing the mAP lite doesn't like the most. It's me! Here's what happens: my iPhone SE 2020 gets -92 dBm signal, very poor, considering I'm just one wall (with door open) from the mAP lite. However, as soon as I put down the phone, the signal grows to -72 dBm! This also translates to speed - holding the phone, I get 20 Mbps max, mostly nothing and phone switching to LTE. With the phone in the exactly same spot but not holding it and moving 1m away, it gets 50 Mbps download.
So it seems the iPhone SE wifi is horrible but I still didn't have such issues with TP Link or Unifi. It just became more of a problem with mAP lite...

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:48 pm

If map lite is mounted on the metal plate: keep in mind that this direction you have very low signal.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:55 pm

Wifi radiation is a complex thing. There are simulation programs, but I know none with a persons body modelled.

There was for the mAP a RBmAP2n (old/single chain) before the RBmAP2nD (dual chain), is this mAP Lite a RBmAPL-2nD, with dual chains?

Wifi 2.4 GHz is "microwave" frequency. All what heats up in a microwave oven will absorb signal. (water, grease, metal, ...) will absorb/reflect the signal.
The little mAP 2nD Lite in your hand can be completely enclosed by absorbing material.

Did you have a look at the CCQ in the registration table? It is a good indication of signal distortion by wall's or of occurring destructive (adjacent channel) interference.
Co-channel interference cannot be seen on MT while using the channel, AFAIK.

You might be interested in this similar post: viewtopic.php?t=171070&#p836333

janCZ11
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:27 pm

Did you have a look at the CCQ in the registration table? It is a good indication of signal distortion by wall's or of occurring destructive (adjacent channel) interference.
I don't see CCQ in the registration table. Just on the AP in the wireless interface status. And it's between 20-30% (with client on the same floor, distance from AP = 7 meters, room across the hall, door open).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:11 am

Overall CCQ is not specific enough. The per connection CCQ is in the registration table (select the CCQ column to be displayed). With CAPsMAN it could be in that registration table, not local.
20-30% is rather poor. Every packet has to be sent 5 times on average. Consumes a lot of airtime, and I assume with this CCQ level the interface rate is very low (expecting close to 6Mbps, with 5 repeats, and 50% overhead .... this will get very slow) and that again takes more airtime. ALL on channel 6 (2437) will be slow if you start data-transfers because of all the airtime consumed.

Surprised to see 28dBm as transmission power. This is way stronger than the client device. Can be done indeed in the United States, but this AP is not strong enough to deliver that. Previous TX power was 20dBm, there was also "b" speed enabled, down to 1Mbps. Well actually I don't understand "mode 20gn" with "basic rate CCK 1-11", but OK the config says b/g/n what explains the "b" rates. But why has it a status of single stream (1x HT:0-7) ? The mAP Lite is a "nD" device, 801.11n dual stream. Well, I'm not using CAPsMAN so just odd to me to see those numbers.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:43 am

On your power drops .... RF power drops 6dB for every time you double the distance. 6 dB drop is 1/4 of the power as the surface of the globe around the AP is 4 times bigger.

If you have -65dBm at 150cm distance , then 6 times halving that distance gives an increase of 36dB in free field, or -30dBm at 2.3 cm. Given the fact that the RF signal around the AP within 30 cm is far from constant, and the fact that -30dBm probably saturates your receiver, and as you have indoor reflections, the number you see are far from special.

5 cm is not a safe distance to stay near the AP.

What happens through the wall is another story. We see RF signal as light, but actually the transmission is quite different. Losing 20 dB is normal, a drop of 20% in the CCQ is the painfull part for the wall passing.

janCZ11
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:18 pm

I’d just like to post an update. I still have issues with mAP performance but I think it might be a temperature problem. The surface is qiute hot. I didn’t pay attention to this at first but recently I mounted the unit using the supplied metal plate but after about a day, the adhesive tape started to melt and the metal plate shifted on the surface. It’s holding pretty firmly when I remove the mAP so the glue is fine, it’s just the mAP is so hot, it melts it. So even Mikrotik didn’t expect it to be so hot.
Should I try returning these and hopefully get my money back? What’s Mikrotik policy on this?

By the way I now got an hAP lite and it works so much better. A single unit cobers both floors.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:09 pm

My map lite does not get any near hot. So I would say that melting the adhesive tape is unusual ROFL

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:47 pm

My map lite does not get any near hot. So I would say that melting the adhesive tape is unusual ROFL
Same here.
Setting up a test environment for something with map as capsman and lite as caps and just clocked 60mbps on that map lite.

jan11cz
just joined

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 am

30 minutes after powering up, the back side of the mAP surface temperature reaches 57°C. That's with one client connected and Tx power down to 12dBm.

jan11cz
just joined

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 am

after snapping the mAP to the supplied metal plate and checking again in couple of minutes, the temperature is even higher. Seems enough to start melting the glue. Is this really OK and expected?
Measured temperature in Celsius!
maptemp.PNG

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:17 pm

Reading of temperature is not visible ?
But >57C is not normal, no.

jan11cz
just joined

Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:18 pm

After another test, only 40C when powered from USB, compared to 63C with active PoE.