Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bowen73
just joined
Topic Author

Can you load config between routers?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:59 pm

i have a RB750gr3 that i 'practice' on and test out configs. I also have a RB750G that is in a live environment. Ive done various changes on the 750gr3, created a backup and saved it to my PC. Then I go into the 750G upload the backup and restore it. expecting it to have all the config changes etc etc.

But what happens is I get locked out of the 750G! i cant connect via MAC as it shows nothing up in neighbours but all the lights are happily flashing away. the only way I can reconnect to it is to do a factory reset.

does this mean that I cant backup and restore between 2 different versions or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Can you load config between routers?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:12 pm

Per official guidelines, You can't restore the backup on a different unit from the one it was made. Yes, I don't like it too.

If You want to restore configs on another router, use export instead of backup. Beware that some things aren't copied this way: certificates for example.

Another caveat: export will work as long as the devices aren't too much different. The ports names must be the same, for one.

MickeyT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:37 am

As @Paternot said, you can't load the backup on a different unit (i.e.: One that has a different model name/number. See this page).

It does work between identical units and I have used it in places that have identical primary and secondary units so that there is a cold spare ready if needed.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:44 am

It does work between identical units and I have used it in places that have identical primary and secondary units so that there is a cold spare ready if needed.
The devices are never identical.
MAC addresses are ALWAYS different.
So be careful even when moving configs between devices with the same model/revision.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:21 pm

This is more advanced.
I have tested. Works well

https://github.com/svlsResearch/ha-mikrotik