Community discussions

MikroTik App

AndreKR
Topic Author

mAP lite vs wAP

Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:54 am

The mAP lite (RBmAPL-2nD) and the wAP (RBwAP2nD) have the same transmit power and receive sensitivity listed under "Wireless specifications".

Does that mean I will most likely get identical range? Like, if I'm having range issues with the mAP lite, an upgrade to a wAP will probably not help?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mAP lite vs wAP

Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:05 am

Logically thinking, yes.
If range is an issue, look for devices with antenna.
You can always try first with map lite, it doesn't cost much.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:27 pm

If you compare the mAP Lite vs wAP vs cAP Lite:
https://mikrotik.com/products/compare/R ... RBcAPL-2nD

wAP has slightly better antenna gain, that's about it.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:29 pm

Wifi is bidirectional (it's not like radio broadcast), and the weakest transmitter will define the range.
Battery powered devices have a much lower TX power than an AP. It can be 10 fold lower (10 dBm) , what in free field makes the range 2.5 times smaller.

It is complex, and general equations mostly don't explain the range. Obstructions, absorption and reflections define the radiation pattern. Reception is further disturbed by noise and interference.

The AP placement is very important for that pattern. wAP and cAP probably are against the wall or ceiling. A corner is like a very thick wall.

If you already have a MT device, do read all the information in the "registration table" when connected (signal strength, SINR, noise level, CCQ, interface rates (speed/chains/guard), throughput, ....).
Check for interference with Scan, Snooper and Freq-Usage.
Try to find the root cause of your range issues.

Antenna gain on the AP will help receivie a weak device signal, and will extend the range in free-field. What that will do indoors through wall and ceilings is difficult to predict.

The TX Power of an AP with higher gain antenna will be reduced by regulation requirements. (e.g. an 8 dBi antenna will reduce the TX power to 12 dBm, for 20dBm allowed EIRP level)
This reduction is compensated in the high gain direction of the antenna, but the signal is reduced in any other direction, and indoors you don't know what the (multi-)path is.

AndreKR
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:43 am

Hm, that is a good point. Basically I want a low antenna gain if I want the range in all directions.

So how would I go about sorting the available MikroTik devices by their achievable range? :thinking: