Community discussions

MikroTik App

titopuentes
just joined
Topic Author

Doubt about what hardware to buy

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 am

Hi everyone,

I need to implement a hotspot for my network (for both wired and Wi-Fi users) and I don't know what mikrotik hardware I have to buy.
We currently have 54 apartments, some with wired access and others with Wi-Fi, and the network is gigabit (cat 5e).

My idea is to place the mikrotik between the internet router (currently we have 600Mb/s symmetrical, although it may be increased to 1000Mb/s) and the switch that distributes to the different buildings where the 54 apartments are located, so that those who connect and login in the network can access the Internet (if they did not login in 2 minutes it would be good to disconnect them from the network for security reasons, but that I don't think influences the choice of hardware).

Note that not all the apartments connect to my network, since many have their own private internet connections, but I would like the hardware you recommend to be able to handle them all.
The other question is how many devices are connected for each apartment? I don't know, but I would calculate a maximum of 3 per apartment (162 devices).

I know my internet connection for 162 devices is very poor, but that can be upgraded adding 1 internet connection more and doing a load balance, so hardware may handle that.
WIFI has it's own security password that I change monthly.

I don't know if RB3011UiAS-RM or RB4011iGS+RM can handle that.

Thanks

titopuentes
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Doubt about what hardware to buy

Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:36 pm

Can anyone recommend a hardware?

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Doubt about what hardware to buy  [SOLVED]

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:58 pm

We have something similar running....
We decided to use a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+
Router does DHCP, VLAN, QoS, Firewall,CAPsMAN ,Routing LAN <-> WAN and Routing LAN <-> LAN

Basic Setup :
ether1 - WAN1 (Main) 1 Gbps / 1 Gbps
ether2 - WAN2 (Backup) 600Mbps / 250 Mbps
ether3 - Secondary Network 1 Gbps / 1 Gbps
ether4 - Management 1 Gbps / 1 Gbps
SFP+ - Backbone(Main-Network) 10 Gbps / 10 Gbps

If you don't have the Budget i recommend the RB4011 or the RB5009
I quite like having a SFP+ (10Gbps) connection between my Main-Switch and Router.
It gives you more flexibility and the Link won't be your bottleneck !