Community discussions

MikroTik App

eleroy
just joined
Topic Author

Restore config from backup file without restoring admin password

Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:20 pm

Hello,

I'm running into a pretty stupid problem, I hope there is a simple solution for:

I forgot my admin password. Or rather it has been change somehow? I am not sure. All I know is my password stored in my password manager is not correct, and I would really like to get o the bottom of this.
I have backups. yeah!
So I reseted the router to reset the config, and I have the admin user with blank password to login. Then I created a new user and password, and then I want to restore from my backup.
Well, the backup also restores my admin user and its password (the one I don't know.!?!). That doesn't really help!

So how is this supposed to work?
Is there a way to:
- extract the config from a backup file, minus the user, and restore that config without restoring the whole backup?
- or modify a back up file to remove the admin user to be restored, and restore that modified backup?

Being able to reset the admin user password, then restore config from backup seems like a very basic and common thing to do, no?

I tried the password recovery tools stuff, from BigNerd95, but it doesn't work. Apparently encryption of the password has changed since 4.6 or so.

Help much appreciated.
Thanks

volkirik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Restore config from backup file without restoring admin password

Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:45 pm

admin password is one-way encrypted AFAIK

please have a look at;
https://github.com/BigNerd95/RouterOS-Backup-Tools

indeed. there should be way to recover backup without admin password.