Community discussions

MikroTik App

rfro42
just joined
Topic Author

Switching WAN (PPPoE) to Eth2 on RB4011iGS+RM

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:07 pm

I need to plug my fibre-box from my Internet Service Provider into Eth2 instead of Eth1.

This is because I want to power my RB4011iGS+RM wired only router using Power over Ethernet (PoE) from my 10 port SG250 switch. The PoE from my switch will power-up the RB4011 router, but only when the switch is wired to the Eth1 port on the RB4011. However the switch is supposed to come after (downstream) from the router, while my fibre-modem is what needs to be the WAN for my RB4011 and gives access to my internet service provider.

How can I configure my router so that I can receive power from PoE into Eth1, and then use Eth2 to connect to my Fibre Modem as the WAN connection to my Internet Service Provider? The "Quick Setup" wizard only provides easy access to use Eth1 or SFP1 for the PPPoE internet connection.

This is a home network so "command line" or "console" may be a bit too hard for me. I have successfully used netinstaller and etherboot to update firmware to 4.8.5, ticking "Apply Default Settings", and I have now tested winbox successfully. I had to do this as I lost access to 192.168.88.1 while messing around with things, but webfig and 192.168.88.1 are all working for me again now.