Community discussions

MikroTik App

cascom
Topic Author

SXT LTE Simcard not inserted error

Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:23 pm

My SXT LTE units constantly need Simcards to be reseated after severe temperature swings. Like if one day it is hot and sunny and the next day it is cold we have complaints of no service. We go onsite and login and the MikroTik says no sim present. We reseat the sim and service works great for months.
Is there a gel or spray to help? Any system mods?

gabacho4

Re: SXT LTE Simcard not inserted error

Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:17 pm

I was told by MikroTik to put a layer or two of scotch tape on the back of the SIM in order to make a tighter fit. Seems to work.

cascom
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:03 pm

I have several hundred of these outdoor units, would like to avoid the tape option. Hoping a gel or spray had been thought of and tested.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:23 pm

I have several hundred of these outdoor units, would like to avoid the tape option. Hoping a gel or spray had been thought of and tested.
Why ?
that tape trick is already as old as the existence of SIM cards and is still applicable today for some situations.
It get's even better, if you make the tape a bit longer, it even helps you to extract the SIM card.

Even if a gel or spray option would exist, you'd have to go over all your devices as well, no ?
Besides, gel or spray being most likely conductive, it may short circuit your SIM card contacts. And as far as I know, most electronic circuits don't handle shorting elegantly.
Safer option is IMHO to apply pressure from the non-conductive side. Put some tape on it for those devices where it's needed.

cascom
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 pm

Why ?
that tape trick is already as old as the existence of SIM cards and is still applicable today for some situations.
It get's even better, if you make the tape a bit longer, it even helps you to extract the SIM card.

Even if a gel or spray option would exist, you'd have to go over all your devices as well, no ?
Besides, gel or spray being most likely conductive, it may short circuit your SIM card contacts. And as far as I know, most electronic circuits don't handle shorting elegantly.
Safer option is IMHO to apply pressure from the non-conductive side. Put some tape on it for those devices where it's needed.
Incase the problem is oxidation or moisture.
Also, the properly built and sealed units from other manufacturers don’t give me this issue.
I have access to non conductive for electronic use silicone and I thought someone here may have tried it instead of the tape and liked it.
Looking for someone with experience in a solution other than tape if possible.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:19 am

If the SIM slot is on the outer limits of the spec (too open) and the SIM itself is on the inner limits (too thin), there will be some space. Space which might result in the contacts not being properly seated on the SIM.
Not sure how you are going to fix that reliably with some spray.
Even today it's a problem which pops up now and then in phones, dects, cars, ... and LTE devices.

Piece of tape. Easy. Problem solved.
Works already more then 30 years for me.

cascom
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:07 am

OK, thanks everybody, a piece of tape it is. I have psalm that comes with an antenna I buy from the company “Bec“. I really honestly just didn’t know if it was a flexing, gap, temperature, etc. problem or if it was moisture/oxidation. I didn’t know if the tape was just a Band-Aid masking the problem but since everyone is in agreement it’s just a Pressure problem because of the gap, I’m on board. Thank you.