Community discussions

MikroTik App

nogemot94
just joined
Topic Author

Automatic Scripting support for Service Redundancy

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi,

I want to open a discussion about the lack of a SIMPLE method to implement Service Redundancy using RouterOS. Let me to start with VRRP for GATEWAY High Availability:

- The implementation of the VRRP protocol is robust and available for years. Using it you can have two different Mikrotik devices (even with different performance level), to work as the Network Gateway. You can achieve High Availability in a Master-Slave mode without much effort. It works, and you don't have any trouble... except when you want to start to administrating the network services provided by such devices.

What's the problem? For example, the configuration of the DHCP server, or the NAT firewall is not shared between devices. You you need to do it all manually. Or you can start to implement complex scripts to export/import some configuration parts. But this is a pain! You can do some woraround, for example with the DHCP service sppliting it in two different ranges, and making the servers to work in a primary-secondary way. But, even this works for this specific service, it's not possible to extrapolate it for other services.

So, my suggestion is to define and implement a more simple way to achieve this. For example: What you think about this?
- For some network services that have sense, the RouterOS will provide new commands for: "export shared config" and "import shared config". These two commands targets the operations to export/import a partial configuration of the service. This configuration could be directly shared by multiple devices. And the system will provide an scheduler to execute it automatically. Then with this simple support one user can, for example, define that the DHCP server configuration of one specific network will be shared between two devices synching the configuration every hour (or at different defined interval). I feel this solution will cover almost the 95% of the scenarios where VRRP it's used.

What you think?